Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 06 duramax i waited till about 7,000 or 9,000 miles to use amsoil 15w 40 hd diesel & marine oil.i also run the amsoil filter my question is should it be using any oil and how long should i be going between changing the oil. in the last couple of weeks ive had to add about a quart.is this normal or should i go back to normal non synthetic oil.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use a quart about every 7to8000 miles if I remember right. I use the dual remote filter set up and go 20,000 miles... JD Say fill in your sig that helps a lot when you have questions

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
Checking when the engine is cold versus hot can be the differance between adding a quart and full. Also, checking level on differant surfaces can cause a fluctuation in level. I use a quart every 5K of driving like clock work. Give it some time and let it run its course. With only 9K on the engine, burning oil is not going to be an issue. Keep running the Amsoil, you'll be glad later.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My 2004 LB7 would use about 3 to 4 notches down on the dip stick at about 5k-6k miles with Amsoil AME(15W-40).

On the Amsoil 5W-30 heavy duty oil I would be about 2 to 3 notches down on the dip stick at 9k to 10k...the same applies to the schaeffers 9000 5w-40.

If I were to use Amsoil it would be the 5W-30 since my OLM gave 20% life @11k miles and I did not have to add a drop.

·
LT. Dan
6,816 Posts
sometimes you will consume a little oil after switching over but that is usually on higher mileage vehicles. keep running it and see what happens

·
Registered
64 Posts
Amsoil

I went to Amsoil @ 20,000 miles and it did the same thing for a little while. Now it doesn't use much @ all. I leave the oil in for 20,000 miles and change filters every 10,000. Got the oil analysis done a couple times with 20,000 miles from cat and the results were great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anytime you make a switch from dino oil to synthetic oil in any vehicles, it will always take a quart to top off the level after between few hundred and thousand miles then afterwards, it shouldn't be using oil anymore if engine has no external leaks. The reason is that it takes approx a quart of synthetic oil to coat everything inside the motor and stays there. My 6 vehicles between brand new and high mileages all took in a quart of synthetic oil once after switch then doesn't use any more oil in between oil change intervals of 7,500 miles except for my work car with 208,000 miles taking a quart of oil about 2000 miles or more... that is pretty normal for a switch to synthetic oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.