1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've just installed an Amsoil DualGuard system
and I've noticed that the pressure guage now
takes several seconds to come up after starting.
Has anyone else installed a dualguard and noticed this?

Is this a problem? I thought that the Amsoil
fullflow filter had a one-way valve(antidrainback)
in it to keep the lines pressurized, but maybe I'm
wrong.....

Thanks for any insight,

T.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
There is an anti-drainback in the Amsoil mount, Terry. But consider how much extra volume you now have to pump up from "zero" pressure with the hoses and two filters. Oil is flowing, but pressure takes a bit longer to come up with the nearly 3 qts of volume that's been added to the system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sitting here looking at my Amsoil bypass head which I am preparing to install. It does not have a check valve. It's a spring loaded restrictor (about a 3/8" orifice) which helps to assure that a certain amount of oil is forced into the bypass filter. If the bypass filter plugs up, the restrictor is forced back against the spring to assure that full flow is allowed for the full flow filter.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I have a secondary oil filter was well. I have changed my mind about them though. They are a pain to change. They lower oil pressure. They take longer to bring up to pressure. And lastly, the engine (even without a 2nd filter) will far outlast the injection system. Hell I dont even bother warming mine up before driving. I know the injection system will only last 1/10th or 1/7th the engine life so whats the point?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Terry,

While the Amsoil bypass filter head does not have a check valve the fitler itself should. (As you stated) I'm not sure about the bypass filter though.

Another question comes to mind...Where did you mount your filters? Some folks put their's up in the engine compartment and others underneath on a frame rail. If yours is up high it might be the reason it takes longer to make pressure. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Terry,

I installed an Amsoil dual remote bypass two weekends ago. No change in the oil pressure or how long it takes to come up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think it depends some on where you mount the filters and if the new hoses end up higher or lower that the origional mount. I also kept my new hoses down to about 8" in length because the pressure drop seams to increase very quickley with longer hoses and it takes longer for the pressure to come up. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
My Amsoil dual remote is frame mounted with about 10" of hose, it holds the two filters vertical - which makes them quite easy to change and allows complete pre-filling. I'm very happy with the system and have gotten excellent oil analyses.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
My Amsoil dual remote is frame mounted with about 10" of hose, it holds the two filters vertical - which makes them quite easy to change and allows complete pre-filling. I'm very happy with the system and have gotten excellent oil analyses.

Ditto w/o analysis. My oil now has over 5K and is still perfectly clean when viewed on the dipstick. I thought I was getting close to a change as the computer is saying 40% life left, so now I'll let it go further and see.

I was thinking of replacing both filters on my next oil change, is this necesarry or should I just change the full flow filter and maybe dump the oil out of the fine filter and re-use it.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
plrod, I change my filters on a 7,500/15,000 mile interval. I change oil and the full-flow cartridge at 7,500 miles and the same with the bypass cartridge every other change, or 15,000 miles. Because the bypass filter is larger, finer and sees reduced flow, I'm comfortable with double the time interval. The 15,000 mile interval also works out for my OEM fuel filter change. I don't remove and dump the bypass on a 7,500 change, just leave it and what oil it contains in place until time to replace it - it'll contain less than a quart of unfiltered oil in the outside of the can which will be filtered before returning to the system.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Blue Max said:
I think it depends some on where you mount the filters and if the new hoses end up higher or lower that the origional mount. I also kept my new hoses down to about 8" in length because the pressure drop seams to increase very quickley with longer hoses and it takes longer for the pressure to come up. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

I have mine mounted farther back where the inside of the frame has a ">" cut out. My bracket is actually mounted in the inside wall of the outer side of the frame. Filters mounted verticle. Hose lenght about 20". No problems so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Terry;

I installed an Amsoil By-pass system about 2 Mo ago. I also noticed on cold mornings that it takes the oil pressure a couple of more seconds to register on the guage. I spoke with the Amsoil folks and they don't seem to be concerned about it. Although the also had no idea what might be causing it. I have my mount basically under the floor board mounted vertically.

2001 D/A EC SB, Juice box, Banks Exhaust

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you take the bypass filter off, dump it and screw it back on you take the chance of causing a problem with the seal. Leave the bypass on and change the full flow filter. Next 7,000-12,500 miles change both filters. I'm partial to the 7,000-9,000 miles between first full flow change and then 7,000-9,000 miles more until both are changed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts