Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the new rating on the 20-50 is
(API Service SJ, SL, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, CF, CD)

And the 5-40 delvac is (API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/CF/SL/SJ)

Would it be OK to run the 20-50 in my truck? I see the amsoil is missing the cf4 rating. My truck is still having low hot idle oil pressure (21lbs up from 16 with delvac) even with the amsoil 15-40 syn. I figure the 20-50 will solve that. Its either that or go back to delo 400 dino oil. This synthetic sure is slippery stuff.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

Is the 20-50 OK to run?

·
Registered
394 Posts
You really do not need a 50W. The engine is optimized for a 40W and the Delvac 1 really is optimal for your engine..
I would lean more towards a not quite accurate gauge as the Delvac 1 is basically a straight grade high 40W viscosity range oil.. It has nothing to do with the slipperiness of the 5W spec. At operational engine speeds the 50W will rob power, reduce fuel consuption and create heat, all of which are not attractive trade-offs..
Where does your engine spend the most of its time?? I think you will find D-1 will serve your needs very well..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
514 Posts
George, Please edit your post to read INCREASE fuel consumption as I am sure that's what you meant to say

·
Registered
939 Posts
PC-

One question. Did your low oil pressure problems start before or after your oil guard filter installation?? Have you considered detaching it for a test to see if you still have low oil pressure with out the oil guard?? Seems that would be a lot cheaper experiment (free except your time) than spending lots of money on possible unecessary oil changes. No flame here, just asking as I am also considering an oil guard setup....

Bob

·
Registered
403 Posts
PC, I'm leaning in the same direction as 4x4man, something ain't kosher in your rig.

You say you have an indicated 21 psi w/amsoil 15w-40? As I've stated before, my hot idle is 25/28psi w/amsoil5w-30! That is on the stock gauge which may not be absolute,but I believe it's close.

What sort of gauge are you getting these low readings on? How much oil does flow thru that Oilguard setup?

As for Delvac, here's an independent lab test published by Amsoil: 4 ball wear test {ASTM D4172B} 40 kg pressure @ 150 deg Cent. 1hr duration, wear scar diameter in mm: tested dec. 2000

Amsoil 3000 HDD 5W-30-----------------------------------0.396 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40---------------------------0.619 Chevron Delo 400 15W-40----------------------------------0.620 Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40-----------------------------0.625 Shell Rotella T 15W-40-------------------------------------0.636 Mobil Delvac 1 Synthetic 5W-40----------------------------0.646

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Owner's manual says no 10W-40 or 20W-50.... Or at least that's what the Dmax supplement says for my '04

For what ever that's worth...
Edited by: Zeeb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts