Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had planned to run my Amsoil air filter 30K before cleaning. My fuel mileage has been down a little the last few tanks so I decided to check it. It only has 26K on it but it looks really bad to me. Maybe some of you that have run them several years can tell me if this is as bad as it looks. Later! Frank

·
Registered
65 Posts
Frank, I don't know what Utah is like, but out here in West Texas you don't run any kind of air filter that long. Looks like it was doing its job.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are in the 5th year of a drought. It almost never rains or snows. The humidity is in the 20s most of the year. There was a lot of oil in the bottom of the filter housing also. I think I will inspect more often after seeing this. Later! Frank

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
MINE USUALLY LOOKS LIKE THAT AFTER 10K MILES.------- FRANK ARE YOU SURE YOURE NOT IN WEST TEXAS???? THEY WAY YOU DESCRIBE YOUR WEATHER PATTERNS IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE IT
WEVE BEEN IN A DROUGHT HERE AS WELL.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just cleaned mine after about 15K. Yours looked pretty clogged up compared to mine. I also had some oil in the recesses in the filter housing that I sponged out. I guess the filter oil seeps out.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I clean my Amsoil Air Filter about every 20,000 miles. Have never seen any indication on the vehicle's air flow monitor that would indicate any problems ... mine has never looked as dirty as yours but when cleaned it has yielded plenty of dirt .... Jim

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
When first installing the AMSOIL air filter it is sometimes a good idea to remove excess oil before installing. I had oil at the bottom of the box, but I suspect it was from the abundant oil AMSOIL adds from the factory. At 10K miles mine looks pretty good. I think another 5K for sure before cleanning. My $.02 worth.

JP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts