Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my amp steps over a year ago id say. They have worked awesome so far but the drivers side is giving me issues. When the weather is warm the step retracts and extends fine......as soon as it gets cold (say around mid 30s or colder) it dosent come all the way down or fold up tight. Ive checked the wiring and all the connections are good. The next thing Im going to check is if it binds with the motor taken out and its cold. Any other ideas or what to check?

·
Banned
3,234 Posts
Well since there isn't much to them, if the wiring is fine then it is either the motor or one of the moving parts are sticking.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Clean and relube them. I like those steps but couldn't see using them here in Minnesota (ice up and then blow the motor).

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clean and relube them. I like those steps but couldn't see using them here in Minnesota (ice up and then blow the motor).

Well your winters arent any worse than what we get in Canada:rolleyes: Ive never had an issue with them freezing up or anything due to winter. I would bet youd be very happy with these if you bought a set.

Its just this step thats giving me issues now....Im thinking its going to be a weak drive motor.

·
Registered
924 Posts
How do you like the steps? I ordered a set for my 07 thursday.I heard goos things.

·
Banned
3,234 Posts
How do you like the steps? I ordered a set for my 07 thursday.I heard goos things.
I love mine. 100x better than the ugly chrome tubes.

·
Banned
3,234 Posts
Probably just need to keep the snow/ice off them.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I love mine. 100x better than the ugly chrome tubes.
Good,im gonna get rid of the tubes in the garbage soon.I dont have to worry about snice here in ga.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love mine. I never liked the tube steps...they look cheap and dated. They are pricey but I like how they tuck up and are not seen. People are just amazed when they see them work...Usually ends up in opening and closing the doors for them a couple times.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I love mine. I never liked the tube steps...they look cheap and dated. They are pricey but I like how they tuck up and are not seen. People are just amazed when they see them work...Usually ends up in opening and closing the doors for them a couple times.
Thanks.:):)

·
Registered
36 Posts
My WONDERFUL wife bought me a set for Christmas. Had them installed last Thursday. They are way cool, I didnt like the tube steps I had on my other truck. Now we can drive the truck when we go out for dinner and she is wearing a dress.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems I found the problem :)

I removed the drive motor when the steps were warm and it retracted and extended nice without binding. I parked the truck in the driveway for about a half hour and then tried to move them...wow ....talk about stiff. The power that drive motor has to move the steps as far as it did is amazing. I loosened all the mmounting hardware and (by hand) put the step through its motions untill it moved freely again. Tightened everything up and reinstalled the drive motor. Tested it and worked like it should :)

Anyone on the fence about getting a set of these, dont be......theyre awesome!!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Anybody use them in muddy situations? I have been thinking about getting some but dont want to get them and them not like mud. I dont go just offroad rootin around but when I do use my truck as a truck. Goin into the camp can be sloppy at times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts