Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I cant wait to ditch this stock crap of a radio and install my stereo that I had in my other truck. buy my quesions are..

I have 2 amps. 1 for the door speakers (100 watt amp) and a 600 watt amp for the 2 10" subs. How should I setup the power cables since this is a Dual battery system. Just hook both up to 1 battery and it should distribute the load evenly?

Also, instead of running new wires to the doors. Can I just have my speaker wires go from the amp and up to the head unit area and utilize the stock wireing harness? Or should I just go for it and run my own wires to the doors and speakers?

Also I am not sure if I have the bose system or if its just a normal stereo. How can I tell? I have the LS with the DIYC controls and no "crap-star" install on the truck.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can hook to either battery or both. I would recommend running one single cable to one of the batteries and then use a distribution block after you get it in the cab. Your probably better off running new speaker wires. There should be a bose logo on your door speakers if you have the bose system

·
Registered
798 Posts
for my system I ran 1 guage from the drivers side battery into the cab and into a distribution block. then ran three 4 guages up to a 5 farad cap and then three 4 guages out to each amp ( 3 amps ) depending on your current draw i'd reccomend using a distribution block to split to the 2 amps. as far as the speaker wires, i'd run new wires to the doors, not so sure tha tiny stock speaker wire could efficently handle extra power from an amp. I dont have steering wheel controls so I cant help ya there. good luck

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have any of the buttons on the steering wheel either.

Also, how did you end up running the power cables into the cab? Is there a hole in the firewall or a rubber grommet that I can poke a hole into?

So you are suggesting to run a single 4AWG wire from one of the batteries into the cab and then splitting it off into 2 8awg wires to go to each amp? In my previous setup I actually just ran 2- 8awg wires from the battery and then to each amp.

Does this sound safer having 2-8awg 30 amp fuses vs 1-4awg wire with a 60 amp fuse?

Also, what are the speaker sizes for the front and rear doors of a 2006 crew cab? 5x7?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I ran the 1 guage under the truck andup through the floor ont he hump under the rear seat. there I have 2 distribution blocks one for grounds and one for the power . i'll have to see if I have any pics and resize them. apparently I enver finished adding pics to my garage of all the stereo goodies. I also used a 150 amp circut breaker instead of a fuse at the battery. I think the front doors are 6 or 6.5 and the rears are 5 1/4.

·
Registered
798 Posts
ok heres a pic of where my distrubution blocks are, you can see the silver wire I used for ground. the power block is just in front and to the left of the grond one, my power wire comes up next to the ground block

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts