Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Amityville II

Hi folks - I'm back!!!!!!!

Plenty sincere apologies to those who PM'ed me and got no response - I been busy since Halloween, Cummins and goin', and my password expired, or some such, and could not get back in, seemingly, without losing my tenure.

I'd hate having to go back to new member status, and having to learn all this Diesel stuff all over, again.;)

Thanks to Turbine Doc for enlightenment on forum changes, and to Nick for my new passnumber!

I did mention Cummins, right?

I picked up a '96 3500 club cab Dodge\Cummins for my bro' but he didn't want it, so I've been er, um, slightly busy with it, instead of posting, here, there, and everywhere.

So far, I've added IAT, Boost, and EGT gages, replaced the clutch-pilot bearing (already had a new clutch\pressure plate, t-o bearing), installed the 330hp\775lbsft torque TST plate, replaced the brown doggie-motel velour interior with grey velour, instrument panel and all, replaced the vacuum brake boost with Hydroboost, and.......

Dodge built their frames in three sections -

front section determined suspension type
2wd independent
4wd coil springs, trailing links
2wd straight front axle coil springs\trailing links, same frame\suspension\steering as 4wd

middle section determined cab type
regular cab 2-door
club cab 2dr (4 door '98 - up)

rear section determined bed length

Sooooo......I jacked the truck up, raised the cab up a foot off the frame, raised the Cummins 6 inches outta the frame, then cut the front i-f-s frame section out at the factory splice, directly beneath the seats.

Having located and prepped a 3500 4wd front section and the straight front axle, I then mated, aligned, and welded the two sections and VOILA!!!

I now have maybe the only Dodge 3500 HD straight front axle dooley pickup on the road - white\grey velour, sittin' 5" higher than when Dodge sold it to another old man and his dog (Boy! did that cab ever stink!!!!!).

The straight front axle is the Dana 70 without the differential third-member and drive axles - the steering knuckles, brakes, hubs, etc, are the same, just no drive assy, replaced by a section of 3/8ths inch thick heavy-wall tube.

HD factory option was offered only in cab-and-chassis configuration, with the narrower rear axle

I see Dodge now builds one-piece rail frames, but I like the '93 - 2001 body style trucks, so no biggie.

Next is a '98 4-door club cab switcheroo, a 2002 NV-5600 6-speed with 13" clutch to handle the 775ftlbs torque, maybe an 8.3 with TST for 1300ftlbs torque, and you should see what can be done with the first-gen 24-valve by eliminating the PCM.

Hoo hah!!!!! did I mention I like Dodge\Cummins?

Hey - sorry for the not-so-brief re-entro, but you guys oughtta know by now what happens when somebody rattles my chain...........

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Did you bang your head while you were gone? This isn't the cummins forum.:D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Whadtcha do with the crew cab GMC?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The '89 GMC 6.5LTD is for sale - 7500 bucks, firm, with a whole bed full of spare parts included..........

Believe me, CR - it's the 330hp and 775ftlbs torque that's got my thinking distorted - not 'a' bang on the head, but 6 bangs in a row on the head, repeat till the idiotic grin on the face don't EVEN go away.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts