Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got no response to another thread already started about adding additional oil to our fuel so I thought I'd start one just for this.

Is there an amber or gold colored 2 stroke oil (TCW-3 or otherwise) out there?

The reasoning is to eliminate any potential contention from GM that the fuel is "contaminated". When we bring our trucks in for injector warranty, an off colored fuel will be a red flag to them of fuel contamination.

We'll know it to simply be additional oil added for additional fuel system lubrication, but they'll have all the excuse they need for a warranty denial. Unless they change their position and approve the addition of oil as a fuel lubrication additive, they actually do have the right of a claim denial.

Andy

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Has anyone checked to see how much discoloration the two stroke oil causes?
If such a claim is made I would ask the dealer to provide details as to why this tint is considered contamination. They usually look for water or trash but it's hard to say because dealer attitudes vary. I would think denial of warranty because of a slight tint would be few and far in between. Although I'm sure a small percentage may have to explain things. When faced with the question of doing what benefits my truck or protecting myself from the remote possibility of a warranty denial I prefer to do whats best for my truck.

To answer your question on the availability of amber 2 stroke oil I've never seen or heard of any.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
a bear;1571380; said:
Has anyone checked to see how much discoloration the two stroke oil causes?
If such a claim is made I would ask the dealer to provide details as to why this tint is considered contamination. They usually look for water or trash but it's hard to say because dealer attitudes vary. I would think denial of warranty because of a slight tint would be few and far in between. Although I'm sure a small percentage may have to explain things. When faced with the question of doing what benefits my truck or protecting myself from the remote possibility of a warranty denial I prefer to do whats best for my truck.

To answer your question on the availability of amber 2 stroke oil I've never seen or heard of any.
I usually add 2 qts of the Wal Mart 2 stroke and I changed my filter and poured it in a cup, sure enough it was a pretty shade of blue! This was with about 1/4 tank left, so it pretty much stays blue from beginning to end.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Do you think that if you mixed the 2-stroke with some Stanadyne or PS in the fuel additive bottle, and then showed the dealer the bottle when you took your truck in, that they would buy the fact that the additive is the color of 2-stroke oil? I didn't think so either :).

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
ASCTLC;1571159; said:
Is there an amber or gold colored 2 stroke oil (TCW-3 or otherwise) out there?

Shell Nautilus 2 stroke oil......Its Synthetic and looks like a light motor oil.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Mobil 1 syn 2 stoke is amber color. Its low ash and low smoke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts