Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1/2 ton with a 6.5TD and sold after owning for 5 months because i had problems with it. I found a 3500 for sale with 170000 miles on it for $3995. Should i take a chance on another one. I love the sound of these motors. There also quieter than a power stroke in the cab. I love the hear that turbo whistle but I'm little shy of buying another one. Any feedback would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
With all the expertise on this forum, -you're already armed with a wealth of knowledge on how to make these things run good and be reliable.

And the other thing to consider is that as far as diesel trucks are concerned, -you'll still save a lot of money on the 6.5 truck over buying something else newer.

My 6.5 runs strong and reliable after doing some tweaking with a few things. The best part is, -no truck payment to deal with every month! :ro)

I wish I would have found this forum before I had to learn everything the hard way. Trust me, there's a lot of knowledge and experience here.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have owned mine almost 10 years and will/would have another 6.5.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've had my for alomost 12 years with over 228,000 miles and plan on keeping it forever even if thats means getting a new motor for it. I bought my new so I'm the only owner and know that ALL the preventive maintenance was done, which is oil changes with filter, fuel filters, batteriers, tran services, etc... I think once you get the bugs worked out of them the 6.5TD is a VERY good engine to own. Just remember it's used, and the seller saying it was done don't always mean it was done or done right.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just sold my 1999 6.5L TD K2500 and picked up a 1995 6.5L TD Tahoe (95k miles on the odometer). Man, these little Tahoes are fun to rip around in. Glad I did it. I liked my pickup, but the Tahoe is more of a practical vehicle for me. If I need to haul something, I've got access to a utility trailer. Also went from an NV4500 in the pickup to a 4L80E in the Tahoe. Kinda diggin' the automatic.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Id say if you can find an older powerstroke, or cummins, then go for that, but if not, the 6.5 is a decent motor if taken some care of. The 5.9, and 7.3 are just built heavier.

Eric

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is 3995 a good price for a 3500 reg cab automatic?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I guess from your user name its a 94? i bought my 93 for 3800 and my 95 for 4000 both were a steal in my eyes check nada.com for a idea hows the body also check the vin#

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have talked to alot of people that are very satisfied with the 6.5.On the other hand I have a 1998 GMC 3500, 86,000 miles and the motor is junk.The block cracked in between where the crank bolts down and the cylinders.Some that went up into the cylniders.I'm in the process of getting a used motor for $500.00.After that i'm not sure what i'm going to do.It's been sitting in the driveway for over a year with the payments being made. I would take a loss to get rid of it.I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If it helps any.. I'm very happy with mine. :ro)

·
Registered
877 Posts
You were smart the first time. Run!!!

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Least you could come here and find out how to fix it. Where else can you do that with any other make?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fuel Filter location

Since we are on the subject of the 6.5L Turbo. Can anyone tell me where the fuel filter is located on my 94 3500 4x4 duallie? Also, what are the steps of replacing the filter? On a gas engine you just replace the filter you can start the car. I was told that you can't not let air into the fuel line or I will have to bleed the system in order to get it to work. Please help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts