Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. The time has arrived to replace the original rad. These days that means aluminium. But the more I look into which is ok/reliable -the less I know.
So how have your replacement rads survived? What mods were needed to fit?
I looked at the mishimoto rad, the warranty seemed good, but you pay the return postage fee, that could get expensive after 2 or 3 are bad.
The original rad is almost too poor to rebuild -mainly though the few rad builders left charge more than double a brand new, quality one. at least I could return that if it leaked, the rest by mail order , never.
Ideas please......?
Ps with enough comments this thread will be useful to all in years to come

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm glad this question has been brought up. Not sure if it's been addressed in the past, but i have the same concerns. Big 4 row radiators of the past, made of brass, with rugged tanks that were soldered together lasted quite a while, and were rebuildable. Do all these new fangled aluminum radiators have plastic tanks swedged on? Or are there aftermarket ones with aluminum tanks ?

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
309 Posts
KKS on ebay makes great alumni ones.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, I will look into that.
If I could get a custom made one (as good as Ron Davis ') done here i could return it if it fails. Not so with eBay/ US supplied one, but if it was really reliable that wouldnt matter...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aluminium not really repairable, unless you count epoxy as" a repair"! People who rebuild brass rads might not be happy it's in their shop, cause of aluminium there will be no work for them eventually.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yeah, all the good metals in the automotive industry is going away. Brass radiators, steel dashboards, forged pistons, chrome bumpers, ect. Plastics have taken over the world. What-ever's cheap and easy for the factory assy lines. They make it cheaper, and faster, but we don't catch a break on the prices. Nothing more than a throw away society.
(Now, I'm waiting for the Ralf Nadar followers to chime in, and say how much we're "saving the world" . Who's up 1st?) :)

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I bought the cheap ebay all aluminum radiator and ran it up until I pulled the engine for a 5.9 swap. Definitely would buy again!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Some of them are good yes. But does take awhile to find a good brand. Also the reason why i HOARD all the genuine GM parts. Lol Used 6.2 Radiators are going for $250+ here in the U.S At one time i had 5 of them and couldn't sell em bcuz nobody wants too pay that price when you can get Alumimnin for $100-200 extra.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Some of them are good yes. But does take awhile to find a good brand. Also the reason why i HOARD all the genuine GM parts. Lol Used 6.2 Radiators are going for $250+ here in the U.S At one time i had 5 of them and couldn't sell em bcuz nobody wants too pay that price when you can get Alumimnin for $100-200 extra.
****, I send them in for scrap.... They so rarely sell... Ive got one sitting here in the possible scrap pile. We'll see if I keep it.

Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
309 Posts
****, I send them in for scrap.... They so rarely sell... Ive got one sitting here in the possible scrap pile. We'll see if I keep it.
I know its sad. I usually see often guys looking for stock radiators but they never want to cough up the dough!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My 1995 oem Harrison g body plastic/alum is still hanging on... Fargin miracle.

Like blonde hair blue eye baby jeebus Level stuff ..

Tree limbs ECT...many a pinched and rolled tube with stop leak.

EBay ftw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts