Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering purchasing or ordering a 2017 L5P 3500HD to replace my '06 LBZ. They come with a single 150 amp alternator, but it's an option to upgrade to a 220 amp, or dual 150 amp and 220 amp. Is there a good reason to (or not to) upgrade to the larger 220 amp or the dual set-up?

Another consideration: Ordering the snow plow prep package gives you the 220 amp alternator, in addition to a slightly beefed up front suspension. Not sure what exactly is changed with the front suspension with the snow plow prep package. Anybody have knowledgeable opinions on these questions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I plan on doing a lot of 5th wheel towing and upgraded to the 220 amp alternator. $ 150 upgrade. I've had my 3500 for 3 weeks and so far very nice. My 2017 replaced a 2014 and big differences. You changing from a 2006 will be huge!! My opinion is don't get a plow package unless you plan on plowing. No real need to beef up the front for most uses other than plowing. Randu

·
Registered
501 Posts
As I understand it, when you get the duramax 3500hd, you get the upgraded torsion bars and axle already, just not the rating? That's what I was told..

I got the 220 amp alternator, money well spent!! my winch on my trailer runs faster and my battery is not drained after running the winch for about 15-20mins.. high idle switch helps too...!!
my lmm batteries, after winching a car up on the trailer, gauge on dash would be way over to the right charging like a mofo. That was a 150amp, if I am not mistaken..that didn't happen with the 220 amp alternator now.
Only used the trailer winch twice so far, but better for sure..

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had the dual setup on my 06, ordered it that way for redundancy, thought being if one ever failed, I wouldn't be left stranded. Overkill I know, but for the money, maybe not so much? If I was to order one today I would go with the dual setup again.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
As I understand it, when you get the duramax 3500hd, you get the upgraded torsion bars and axle already, just not the rating? That's what I was told..
From the spec charts "It depends" on more than just if 2500 or 3500.

In some combos they both have 5600# spring rating, some both have 5200# and some it changes.

4wd cc std box dmax:
2500 - 5200#
3500 - 5600#

4wd cc long box dmax:
2500 - 5600#
3500 - 5600# (srw or drw)

2wd cc long srw
2500 - 5200#
3500 - 5200# (the drw is 5600#)

All reg cab 4wd 2500/3500 dmax have 5200#

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Does the actual spring change, or just the rating?
Strangely enough, at one time I worked for a supplier of GM torsion bars.

At the time, there were many different bars for the variety of different spring rates. I'd assume that is still true today.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I thought the 2017 2500HD and 3500 Diesel trucks with the snow plow prep package came with #6000 torsen bars

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the 2017 2500HD and 3500 Diesel trucks with the snow plow prep package came with #6000 torsen bars

The trucks with the snow plow prep package do come with the 6000 lb front axle rating.

·
Super Moderator
5,983 Posts
My 2015 GMC 3500 work truck was ordered with the plow package and it has the 6000 lb front axle rating. I still cranked the torsion bars though. I have a fisher V plow and it is heavy, works great though.

Does anyone know if dual alternators can be added after the fact, or does it have to be a factory add on?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You probably can, but the snowplow package already bumps it from 150A to 220A. If you go for duals, the second one will be a 150A

Standard alternator (all trims):
KG4 Alternator, 150 amps

KW5 Alternator, 220 amps
1 - Included with (VYU) Snow Plow Prep Package when ordered with gas or diesel engines.

KHB Alternators, dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each
1 - Requires (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the snow plow prep package actually gives you different torsion bars or not? I ordered one today, but didn't get the snow plow package because it gets rid of a few other options I like, but I would like the upgraded front load rating. I did order dual alternators though.

I was told by another dealership that they could just change out torsion bars, I'm not sure if they know if the bars are different or not though.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the snow plow prep package actually gives you different torsion bars or not? I ordered one today, but didn't get the snow plow package because it gets rid of a few other options I like, but I would like the upgraded front load rating. I did order dual alternators though.

I was told by another dealership that they could just change out torsion bars, I'm not sure if they know if the bars are different or not though.
To my understanding the snow plow prep package only inhibits the ordering of a sun roof and deletes the universal remotes which I could definitely understand.

Of all the things the plow weight would effect it is going to act on the roof line as it becomes a fulcrum to any weight hung off the end of the frame, (snow plow) . I myself would heed that warning regardless of the springs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The sunroof and the homelink are deleted, which I couldn't do without. I have zero intention of ever putting a plow on this truck, I just want the higher capacity front end.

·
Super Moderator
5,983 Posts
My thought was I wanted the heavier front end to handle adding a winch bumper and winch. They should be here next week, so I will see what happens when I add 450 lbs to the front of the 3500

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The sunroof and the homelink are deleted, which I couldn't do without. I have zero intention of ever putting a plow on this truck, I just want the higher capacity front end.
I'm sure you can add those springs later on. Glad to see you weren't going to try the snow plow with the sunroof. If there was a problem that came of that it likely wouldn't be pretty.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I'm sure you can add those springs later on. Glad to see you weren't going to try the snow plow with the sunroof. If there was a problem that came of that it likely wouldn't be pretty. I did some plowing and might do it again and made sure I had that package. It isn't so much the weight it is also what you inevitably bang into that hurts more. No avoiding it especially on hilly lots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts