Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, so I added a few accessories to my truck, and I noticed that the alternator wasn't quite keeping up. The truck has around 138,000 with what I believe to be the original OEM alternator. The truck has all of the original style items on the serpentine belt routing (ac compressor, vacuum pump..etc.)

So, I did some digging on alternator updgrades and found quite a bit of conflicting information. The end result was that for this year truck, upgrading to an AD244 style alternator in lieu of the CS144 alternator was my best option. Additionally, based on my limited research, the AD244 alternator doesn't seem to suffer from CS144 bearing failures that are known to exist.

So, I went down to my friendly neighborhood NAPA and spent some time and ultimately settled on an alternator from a 2001 6.6L Duramax. It is NAPA part No. 213-4807, which is a rebuilt alternator. This is the 130 amp option, which is likely more than I should ever need. It was around 190 bucks or so, plus a $29 core. Also comes with a limited lifetime warranty, which I like the sound of.

I have attached some photos of the alternators and the before/after install. This thread is not intended as a how-to, but I do hope that others get some use out of it. In all honesty, this is one of the simplest things that can be done to the truck.

The new alternator fits right into the same mounting as the old one, with one exception. The old alternator had a mounting point for a small bolt on the very bottom rear of the alternator (see photo with the plug detail). The new alternator did not have that mount, but based on the beefiness of the new alternator, I am not at all concerned. The only modification that I will need to do is to purchase a longer serpentine belt as the newer alternator pulley is located further towards the passenger side - my tensioner pulley is nearly completely maxed out and I believe to be out of range. I think that a 1-inch longer belt should suffice, but I will update with my findings sometime soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Let us know what you end up with. An inch is a lot. If its too much and you can't get a 1/2 inch size you may be able to space up the AC on washers a bit. Just be sure to try and match the thickens of the washers pretty close, if they are off too far it kinda cocks the compressor sections and could end up leaking.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to post pics! I, too read many mentions of the upgrade, but mostly vague info and without pictures. If my alternator takes a dump that's what I'll be putting in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, so I had some time to try a different belt. Ended up using an autozone DAYCO belt, part no. 5061020. I'm happier with the fitment.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Alternator Install.

Is there some way to determine the length of that serpentine belt from Autozone by the part no., Hobbs? I know it can be done with a V-belt. Did you measure your old one and ask the guy at Autozone for one an inch longer?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked the guy at autozone for one that was 1" and 0.5" longer than stock. The DAYCO belt I settled on should be 102" long, based on Internet and the "1020" wording in the part number-but I did not actually measure it. The guy at autozone said a lot of belt manufacturers number their belt that way.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Alternator Install.

Thanks. Been looking for that information.:thumb:

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,715 Posts
I posted about the belt length coded into the part no. a few times, I suspect it is in the FAQ.

Part No.: K061025 means K06 means 6 groove (K can be a number also) and 1020 means 102-5/8 inches nominal.
So if you need a belt shorter you would want to get 1015 (1 in shorter) or 1010 (appx 1.5 inches shorter), it has to have 6 groove so it should be K06 or 106, etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Alternator Install.

Thanks JM.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
This photo album may interest you: (the host may be slow)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting that link. I had read that some time ago, but I didn't really feel that I had a need for a 2nd alternator. Plus, it was going to be significantly more work and money to add a second alternator. For some folks, a second alternator is needed, but in my particular case, I just needed a little bit more output.

Definitely good information to have!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It's really not that much work, even making the bracket yourself. Everything else can be had from the JY for a few bucks & hours, except the new belt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If youre replacing alt, you are doing yourself an injustice by not opting for an AD244 style.

It boils down to fan location.
CS style has external fan.
AD has internal fan, as do many many other alternator designs.
ALL alternators have internal rectifiers, which convert the created AC power into DC power. This conversion of energy as with any, creates HEAT! Lots of it.

Now, knowing this which do you think is a more efficient design in regards to dissipating HEAT from the internal components? Keep in mind the most common failure of todays alternators is rectifier failure.

This alternator, I can personally verify is a true plug and play upgrade/update. Same mounting points, same plug even. I was able to swoop 2 on amazon as open box for $124/ea and followed through with the link posted earlier from Steve83 for dual alternator setup. For this reason, I can not attest as to what your new belt size/part# would need to be. My dual alt & vac delete belt is Napa Micro-V 061203HD with a 3.5in idler pulley in place of the 3in used by Steve83 in his setup.

Get an AD244, it will be the last alt you ever buy.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I got this same thing as Z71 hobbs. It cost $214 for a belt and and the alt. The belt fits exactly perfect. Just had to smack the little bracket a couple times with a hammer and it fit right in.

However the Napa won't take my other alt in core so I lost $27 :( Fack.

Easy install thou thanks for the part numbers Hobbs!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad it worked out well for you! I honestly haven't driven my truck much this year, so I haven't been able to post any post install information. I asked my Napa about the difference in the core info at the time of my swap, and since both alternators had the same core price, he went ahead and approved it (if my memory serves me correctly).

Hope you keep on truckin!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts