Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gm is researching the use of alternative fuels on select Gm vehicles. They say it will be corn oil mixed with methanol?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Gradyghost,

Where did you read / hear about the GM altenative fuels study? Are they talking about a straight corn oil & Methanol mix, simply "thinning" the oil? Or (more likely) is there a chemical process involved? If so, it's probably biodiesel or a close cousin. I believe it would be possible to make biodiesel out of corn oil, using the methanol in the catalyst. Most biodiesel in the US is made using soy oil (virgin or recycled), but corn oil should be possible.

If you have any sources or links, please post. It would be great to find out about a manufacturer-approved biofuel.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
473 Posts
Gradyghost,

Those GM links seem to be for gas-engined pickups that will burn corn-based ethanol directly - 85% ethanol/15% gasoline; E85. No mention of biodiesel. You and I talked at the Northeast Gettogether in September. I too am wondering who's been running biodiesel in the Duramax. Sooner or later we will find out. Hope all's going well.

John

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes....maybe I should have put this topic under something else than biodiesel...Like Alternative fuels...Battery cells, engines that run on a corn mixture, etc.

And maybe not an alternative fuel...but Gm is working on "Displacement on Demand" which basically takes a v8 and only uses 4 cylinders when cruising but then uses 8 when you stomp on it to take off.

So maybe this thread should be moved to "off Topic" since this is a strictly diesel website!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Didn't GM do that on demand system in the 80's with the V8 Caddies?? Wasn't it a disaster??

·
Registered
10 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
Didn't GM do that on demand system in the 80's with the V8 Caddies?? Wasn't it a disaster??

Yes, and yes. Only this time instead of controlling things mechanically, I bet they'll have everything electronically controlled. That way it'll be an electronic disaster, too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts