Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little help. I am in process of adding some mods. I just installed my NICKTANE fuel filter....thanks Nick... now gauges and 4" exhaust.

Question :As to thermocouple,are there other locations to consider for its placement besides "hoot's" or post turbo downpipe? A local shop with very competitive pricing suggests putting in turbo pipe??Is this correct and can someone clarify or comment?

Thanks to all and what a great site!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
They probably mean "Post Turbo". This is a turbo pipe installation... complements www.wjsperformance.com

Here you are measuring the exhaust gas temperature, location wise, well beyond beyond the heats point of origin. That being the combustion chamber itself. The advantage being the ability to monitor EGT at the turbo so you know how hot the turbo is getting. Actual engine combustion temps are typically 200-300 deg's more.

An even better setup is to have a thermocouple at both locations.

What you decide depends what you are most concerned with. The post turbo setup will also tend to be less "spikey". Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the SPA211 thermocouole mounted is the passenger side as Hoot and just received the Attitude and would like to install it's thermocuople in the drivers side. Has anyone done this? Pictures? I have the fender well splash gaurd off and there doesn't seem to be a lot of room or an easy place to drill. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would avoid post turbo. I have both pre and post, and while they are pretty close at idle and cruise, they can be 450 degrees (thats right) apart while pulling under load. Also, my post is analog and lags the other by a good bit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
READ GM SUGGESTS POST TURBO, MAX TEMP 1022 F. THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.JUST SO YOU DONT GO OVER THIS. I HATE DRILLING PRE TURBO, SCARES ME

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bruce where did you get that GM suggests Post turbo installation?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have SPA probe on PS; Attitude probe on DS. There is enough room on the DS.

I have no pictures. Have a digital camera under the tree right now. After the obligatory Christmas pictures, then come the truck pictures. Then I get to figure out how to post pictures.

FWIW, steady state, the SPA and Attitude track each other very nicely, sometimes to the degree. Short term, the much smaller SPA probe is much, much more sensitive. Easily hits 1500+ degrees on a 0 - 60 blast in hot level four or five; Attitude is lucky to see 1200 degrees.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My Attitude has seen 1350 degrees a few times. I live on the side of a mountain and my ride home is all uphill. If I get lucky enough to not have anyone in front of me my foot is to the floor just to feel the power and increase in speed going uphill on a pretty steep incline. I do have stock exhaust to. My next investment is a 4" exhaust. Any suggestions? Will this lower EGT? Should I just go straight pipe all the way back with no muffler or is the muffler needed? Is it possible to get a nice crackling sound out of a diesel exhaust?

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts