Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Silverado 1500, and it has developed an alternator whine in the speakers. The sound is not always there, it comes and goes. The stereo is all factory. I had access to a new OEM deck, so I tried swapping that out, no change.
Is there anything else I can check easily? I suspect it may be in the alternator but I am hoping not.

Thanks

OCDUNE

·
Registered
161 Posts
alt whine

You have a bad diode in your alternator I'd also check your grounds in your system sometimes they work them selfs loose and corrosion builds up

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a bad diode in your alternator I'd also check your grounds in your system sometimes they work them selfs loose and corrosion builds up
Thanks for the reply. Question:places to check ground would be on the back of the stereo, anywhere else?

Also, if it is the alternator, is it any indication the alternator might fail soon?

Thanks

OCDUNE

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Question:places to check ground would be on the back of the stereo, anywhere else?

Also, if it is the alternator, is it any indication the alternator might fail soon?

Thanks

OCDUNE
The indication you would get from a bad diode would be a dead batery. Diodes are electronic check valves that change alternating current (pulses back and forth) to direct current (folows one direction only). When a diode fails, your battery will discharge.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ALT whine

I'd check the negative cable first it can be bad.It may look good on the out side but the inside can be very corroded an oms test can tell that without cutting the cable and physically checking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
alt whine

The bad diode may not discharge the battery their are 6 diodes that convert the ac componet the diode on the end will discharge the battery a bad diode in the middle will whine and not discharge the battery.the alt may last several days or last a month or so. all in all the alt is going out soon

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The bad diode may not discharge the battery their are 6 diodes that convert the ac componet the diode on the end will discharge the battery a bad diode in the middle will whine and not discharge the battery.the alt may last several days or last a month or so. all in all the alt is going out soon
That's interesting to know... My experience has been in the past a voltage leak-back through the alternator when a diode was bad, but we're talking old school stuff. I'm rebuilding a 105 amp alternator as we speak. What a booger to take apart!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts