Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there attempted to swap out the GM IFS for a SFA?? Would it be an expensive endeavour or undoable?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i am in the middle of getting all the parts to do that it is an expensive undertaking

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well a photo diary would be cool as you proceed. Can you ballpark what the part cost alone is?

·
Registered
808 Posts
well a photo diary would be cool as you proceed. Can you ballpark what the part cost alone is?
Do a search on this, last week there was a discussion on this and I think there was a price list break down.

·
Registered
108 Posts
oru has a kit with all of the bracketry and directions, you supply the axle (dana 60) and suspension/steering components aswell as a custom tailored drive shaft!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Also dont forget your going to give up the ABS with this too.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Also dont forget your going to give up the ABS with this too.
If you buy a new axle from ORU or Dynatrac you can maintain the factory ABS.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you have the $5000+ to spend on the dynatrac plus the $650 for the abs kit. The ORU axels are made by dynatrac also. Then yah you can keep the abs. It was a little rich for my blood and thats what turned me off about the kit.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I just bought the their kit for my truck and went with the +6 kit which uses a 6 in longer front spring. They told me 5 grand for an axle complete with rotors, calipers, gears of my choice, Dedenbear iner C's and knuckles, 35 spline inner and outers, warn hubs and the abs.
It's not bad considering what you get. A 79 Ford HP60 is going to run you 800-1200 and it will have unknown miles and would need a rebuild to install or should be rebuilt before using seeing how it's 27 plus years old. How much would that cost?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
There's a 79 D60 in for sale section right now...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
oru has a kit with all of the bracketry and directions, you supply the axle (dana 60) and suspension/steering components aswell as a custom tailored drive shaft!
i have helped a friend of mine do this kit and it is not all that hard at all we just used a 2 wheel drive steering box and made a cross over steering system for it and you dont have to get a dana 60

If you have the $5000+ to spend on the dynatrac plus the $650 for the abs kit. The ORU axels are made by dynatrac also. Then yah you can keep the abs. It was a little rich for my blood and thats what turned me off about the kit.
you dont have to spend 6000 buck for this because you can just get a newer ford front axle with ABS rotors and everything for a lot less than that and you will have a nice complete axle to up under your truck

·
Registered
308 Posts
DIESELMAN75: Do you forsee a problem with the ball join set up of the newer style axel? I always thought for the purpose of taking abuse the king pins held up better?

For your friends truck did you use the newer ford axels?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Here is that thread,

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59707

It can be expensive but if you take your time looking for all the right parts it could be fairly inexpensive. I picked up a 1978 Ferd F-250 with the Dana 60 for $500 and it runs, I figured that I could part out the truck for more than half what all the stuff would cost. Then I changed my mind and am going to still used the Dana 60 but build a 4 link setup with coil overs. PM me if you want some more info, I have been researching and planning this out for 8 months. Its well worth it if you want to lift the truck to the heavens or you are going to use if for pullin'!!! otherwise I feel that it would not be worth it, the IFS is awsome if you are not going to beat on it or try putting TONS of power down for 4x4 launches.

·
Registered
146 Posts
there is a company called fabritech that makes a kit for the 36.5" spring perch width. I'm in the process of putting in a dana hp44 in a 89 chevy. custom building the hangers. its not that hard with a little fabrication skills. there is no need to change steering boxes b/c the ifs already rotates left to right. just need to have crossover steering done a custom draglink made.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The 99 & up Ford D50's,D60's won't work on the HD's because the ABS rings don't have the same count as the GM trucks. And all HD chevy's have a 3 blind sector shaft, so no aftermarket pitman arm will fit on it. The sector shaft has to be swapped out. The spring pad width is also too wide to use with the ORU kit, so you'd have to fabricate all of the spring hangers, and they would be WAY outside the frame. Measure the frame width on your HD to see that it's right at 32" center to center.----Chris
they will work you just have to cut the pads off and weld new ones in i have not checked this kit out in a long time but i think it comes with everything you need but the axle and steering but i belive you can order everything you need for them or make your own because that is what we did we fabed alot of parts to get it done and we also just used a chevy front axle becasue we put the t-case on the other side but as far as the abs i'm sure their is an adapter or something for them but not sure

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
oh and this was not an a hd it was on a tahoe but a SFA on anything is going to take some fab skills

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The super duty axles have a 38" spring pad width, with the drivers side perch casted in the housing. It is physically impossible to move the drivers side spring perch inward, and moving the pass side perch will make the axle offset. There also isn't any way to adapt the ABS, the truck requires a certain pulse from the sensors, they all have to match. Also, running the stock ball joint pitman arm isn't a good idea, it's not strong enough to be used with a solid axle. It only has to support the drivers side of the steering in an IFS, do you think it's strong enough to withstand a crossover steering with anything larger than a stock tire? I don't. I've never seen a homeade solid axle conversion that looked safe.----Chris
yup

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
cjsho if you dont think that the new ones will work what about the older S/A like the 90 ford they had abs but i dont know abouut the spring pads but you can make any of them work. do you have a pic of the perch on the drivers side that is casted into the housing because i have never seen that before not that i have looked real hard at them though

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
a guy i met while i was at school S/A a 90 chevy and he used a chevy axle and just had the tubes removed and fliped and then pressed back in dont know how much that cost but it is another why you can do it and in 89 didn't the chevys still come with a SFA so they would have abs but the pumpkin would be on the wrong side so you could just have what i said above done to it right

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
well i dont know much about this abs ring deal but i know how to use a torch and welder. who needs abs anyways i like the old school breaks on my lifted 69 better than the new style brakes but i do have disc brakes all the way around

1 - 20 of 21 Posts