Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since changed out that pulley. There's been a loud noise. Sounds like its coming from power steering. Checked it out no loss of fluid. No codes, everythings seems normal, good power. I'm just wondering is it because it colder out or pending doom!:eek: Like to hear you guys think?

Thanks,

Stacy

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Which pulley did you change?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I brainfarted! could this just be an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge? When my crossover started leaking I lost all of my boost...

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No gauge. I'm going to check out exhaust today.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you have or know anyone with a camera that records with sound you could post that.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Exactly what ddbackhoe said. I used to have a 95 chevy dually with the 6.5 and it happened to me. The rubber busted, but the harmonic balancer stayed in tact. It would spin on the crankshaft somewhat similar to a tire slipping on a rim. It is an easy fix though.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
when my crank pulley went it made a loud smack smack smack

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
When mine went it made a squeaking sound....

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For a second you guys scared me:eek: The water pump tested no movement at all.:D The harmanic balancer the rubber looked even around. Was a little soft. Took video of the truck and of course this time no sound!:mad: But i guess no noise is good noise!:D I'll try to post the video and Ihear again I'll shoot it with my.... cell phone.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Gunner0812;1589628; said:
The harmanic balancer the rubber looked even around. Was a little soft.
When mine went bad, the rubber appeared to be intact from the backside....... If you look carefully at this picture, you can see the 2 bolt holes that are "recessed", then a bell shaped bar between them. These "bars" were loose on mine and when running made a noise like a bad bearing (a pinging, metal to metal).

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that didn't work

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Right around 8 seconds into the video it sounded like it may be the balancer pulley.....lay under the vehicle and see if you can push/pull/twist the balancer pulley at all....(with the truck not running of course :D )....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts