Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hauling out of the Miami Boat Show on Tuesday, I had a 32' Boat on the trailer. Got on 95 up to about 55mph trailer started to sway a little, so I backed out of the throttle and it got worse. I hit the brake a little and realized there were no trailer brakes. Holy sh!t, the trailer started to jackknife on me, I started to steer back and forth as the trailer kept going from one side to the other. Finally I got down to about 15-20mph and got everything under control. I've been transporting boats and driving 18 wheelers for 10 years and this is by far the worse thing that has ever happened to me. I felt completely out of control and was extremely lucky to come out of this without any damage to myself, my truck, or anyone else.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Man I know how you feel. I'v been in that same situation before myself. Glad to hear that nothing bad happened. Did you ever find out what caused the trailed to that?

Mike

·
Registered
93 Posts
Assuming that it was a factory trailer and the axles were under it straight, the biggest reason is : Tongue-light. A trailer needs 15 to 20% on the tongue to stay behind the truck. I recently went 1400 mi to pick up one of my units that had been released from rental. We had always shipped the unit via drop-deck and only moved it around locally, short trips. I hooked up and started out on I-40. At about 55 it went wild. I was able to see the unit on both sides, without the mirrors! Luckily no traffic. I used up the WHOLE freeway getting stopped, but I did. After a change of depends, I went about 25 mph to the next exit. Luckily there was a home depot right there. I loaded the tongue with 600 lbs of river rocks in bags and came on in @ 75 mph. As soon as I got in I had the guys move the axles back 10" to load the tongue 2500 mi since then... no problems @ whatever speed feels good.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
glad you are ok

i know pullling a toy hauler, when there isnt enough weight on the tongue, it makes the ball and tongue act like a swivel point

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was extremely light on the tongue. The trailer was to big for the boat so all the weight was on the trailer axles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts