Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have been going back and forth on what to get as far as a engine in my new truck and was wondering, if the 8.1 w/ allison uses the same stall converter as the diesel and if it can handle power mods well or if it has the same slip problems the duramax causes. I am only going to go with intake, headers exhaust, cam and maybe heads later. If people have any input on the allison with the motor i'd be all ears. Thanks

Lenny

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I hate to say it but I'd only go Duramax.

Do the mods to the gas and u'll have to run hi octane (more money and lower fuel mileage).

Diesel makes lots of power and good mileage.

I'm looking for my 8th D/A truck right now.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Besides by the time you add up the price of all those mods you have made a serious dent in the price difference between the 8.1 and the DMAX anyway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The 8.1 has a different part number for the tourque converter, I believe it has a higher stall RPM then the D-max version.

The 8.1 starts out with significantly less torque than the D-max, so the clutch slipping problems should be less of an issue. Without a supercharger you'll be hard pressed to get an 8.1L to exceed the stock D-max torque of 520 ft-lbs, let alone the 700+ that D-maxes with software upgrades have sucessfully put through the stock Allison.

Just my opinions, and all I have to back it up is a little reading in this and similar forums, and a father-in-law with a stock 2003 8.1/Allison combo.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's all in what you like, I've got an 8.1 and my buddies got dmax's, I like them both and will probably go diesel next time. As far as the Allison slipping, you shouldn't have a problem, plain and simple the dmax guys will always be able to make more power. I've done intake, headers, exhaust, ignition, programming, mafs mods..etc and have not had a problem with limping the allison, dyno numbers around 300hp/440torque, running 35's with 3.73 rear. Next is a SC which should add around 75-100hp and should put me in the range of a comp juiced dmax. Like someone said, when you start modding the gassers you take a big chunk out of the price difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'm a firm believer from the old days, that cubic inches will by far out perform most engines. in the 50's, i was always beaten in top end races with engines that were bored oversize. i would think my 8.1 gasser with 496 cubic inches would be out front against most engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts