Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is in a local Allison tranny shop having the Suncoast Stage II kit installed. Shop told me the truck should be ready for pickup today.

I post this for a hopeful future recomendation for Allison tranny work in the Dallas area. The shop has already successfully installed a kit in one local truck. Result report coming.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ouch ! $1733.03 for just labor for install. That includes 6 gallons of Synthetic tranny fluid ($29 a gallon) which the shop strongly recommends.

That makes a total of $3,700 for this little tranny work.

Picking up Truck in the morning. The shop also reprogrammed the tranny. They hooked their laptop etc and drove the truck for relearn.Edited by: gmccall

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dat be alot -o- cash. Hopefully its worth the money.. Let us know.

Jesse

·
Registered
626 Posts
It costs a lot to play with big boys toys, but they sure are fun.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think that is a lot for just installation. How long did they have your truck?

·
Registered
909 Posts
gmccall said:
Ouch ! $1733.03 for just labor for install. That includes 6 gallons of Synthetic tranny fluid ($29 a gallon) which the shop strongly recommends.

That makes a total of $3,700 for this little tranny work.

That's a hefty hourly rate!

Mike,

Out of curiosity, what do these installs typically cost?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Ray403dmax

I donot know Mike's labor rate but do know he charges $2500.00 for the complete job. This includes the TTS converter, new c2 clutches and steels, shift kit, fluids, filter and labor.Edited by: Diesel Tech

·
Registered
429 Posts
gmccal,

That does seem pretty pricey. I just had a Stage 3 done for about that price and I think theres a ton (OK maybe 500lbs.) more work involved. Maybe stuff's just more expensive in Texas.

JoshEdited by: GMCSLEHD

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I charge the same as Mike does for the same job as Diesel Tech noted. I am gonna have to raise my price to stay competetive with those TX shops.. Wait, I would have to double it

·
Registered
909 Posts
Diesel Tech said:
Ray403dmax

I donot know Mike's labor rate but do know he charges $2500.00 for the complete job. This includes the TTS converter, new c2 clutches and steels, shift kit, fluids, filter and labor.

Wow, seems relatively reasonable. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay,

Results are as follows:

Shifting is firmer, quicker, and I have a passing gear finally. Before passing gear was a joke as the truck would hesitate before taking off.
Now to get the defuel out and add more power.

However, I may have tranny leak as fluid is along the frame, but that seems to be deminishing. Tranny was full when warm and at engine idle. May have been too full and was kicking fluid out. I will wash it off and keep a watch on it.

Hmm....after reading the price comments I am not as happy. The material that came with the kit says normal labor to install this kit is $1400 to $1800, but same kit results by Mike would have been $2500 + - total. I may have gotten the work done cheaper (chevy house would not touch it and I have a son that works there), but I chose this shop Because they specialize in Allisons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.