Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the warranty for the Allison transmission? For sure reason I always thought it was 100,000 miles like the Duramax. But dealer I've been talking to said it's 36K, and they here from alot of customers that think it's 100K also. What have you found? does the dealer have some bad info? Customers misbelief?

Thanks,

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
3yr/36 Either they have a whole lot of confidence or there sticking it to us ....

There's always a Suncoast build=up to look forward to when the warranty expires tho ...

Mac

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yep, its 3/36k. I looked into this in detail when looking at trucks. If this is the best transmission you can get, then why isn't the warranty as good as the Dodge, which is "supposed" to be inferior. It kind of makes you wonder.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yea, I think dodge is advertising the 325hp/600tq engine/tranny at a 100k mile warranty.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
tundracamper said:
Yep, its 3/36k. I looked into this in detail when looking at trucks. If this is the best transmission you can get, then why isn't the warranty as good as the Dodge, which is "supposed" to be inferior. It kind of makes you wonder.

Nobody would buy the Dodge UNLESS it had a 7/70 warranty on the tranny ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
125 Posts
One of the primary reasons why I bought my Max/Allison combo was the transmission.

I may have posted it here before, but I completely blew the transmission out of the bottom of my 2002 Avalanche with 38,000 miles on it - and 19 months of ownership. If I hadn't purchased an extended warranty, I'd have been out $1500 for the repair (no, they did not replace it as I'd hoped they would).

Over the past month or so, the trans in the Avalanche began to slip when accelerating from a standing start, and I just didn't feel like screwing with it again, so out it went... and in came the '04 Silverado.

I'll very likely purchase an extended warranty to cover the transmission for the same 100K miles that the engine is warrantied for. I've been told that it takes $7000 to replace the trans (can that be true?), so it seems like cheap insurance to pay $860 for the additional coverage on the transmission, as well as the rest of the truck.

I love this truck... I just want to put some bigger rubber under it and then drive it til the cows come home...

Chris in NC

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
trans is only good, as stated above, for the 3/36.

if it scares you, buy an extended warr.

reman allison is around 3700 plus install

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was also told that I had a 100,000 mile warranty. I'll be making a call to my salesman tommorrow morning. For the cost of a remanufactured allison, I'd spend a little more and make a trip to Suncoast, 6-7 hours from here!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
BukWild said:
I was also told that I had a 100,000 mile warranty. I'll be making a call to my salesman tommorrow morning. For the cost of a remanufactured allison, I'd spend a little more and make a trip to Suncoast, 6-7 hours from here!
That's the ticket ..... Any qualified ASE mechanic can swap these trannys out without a problem,with proper lifting equipment on hand ..... GM made it quite simple to service sep for the T/C bolts but you do it a couple two three times that's simple too .... Right Joe B ??

So you could always by a complete drop in stage IV or V no need to drive to Florida .....

Mac

·
Registered
129 Posts
Okay in the warranty booklet it states only the engine is covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. And after 3yr/36,000 miles you will have to pay a $100 deductible. Everything else,including the Allison, is covered under the standard 36,000 mile warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts