Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when this was going to come after all the posts in this group.

GM finally sent me a letter (I received one today from them) announcing a program to prevent transmission damage and subsequent failure. It states that the Allison transmissions require a TCM programming modification if the truck is left in temperatures of -40C (excluding wind chill) for extended periods of time (ie: overnight).

The only years I know are affected are 2006 and 2007, but not sure about some 2008s.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know if that really adresses the problem, that's just extreme situatuions. What about all of us with leaky lines and never see that kind of temp? I guess that adressess the problem for anyone who had burnt the tranny in real cold situations but what they should do is recall the tranny lines and replace them with ones that will hold up!

·
Registered
218 Posts
was to late for me,, trucks in getting new tranny right now..

i just hope the tcm update will fix the problem, because i intend to still run with the elevated idle on,, i need it where i live.

·
Registered
60 Posts
currently on my 22 torque converter repair. including complete disassembly and cleaning. also pump replacement in some cases.
i'm dreaming about torque converters coloured blue. my wife sends me straight to the shower when I get home due to the odor of burnt torque. I've got approx 2 more weeks of this.

·
Registered
371 Posts
was to late for me,, trucks in getting new tranny right now..

i just hope the tcm update will fix the problem, because i intend to still run with the elevated idle on,, i need it where i live.
Why dont you run a differnt fluid that wont gel? Such as transynd, amsoil, or mobil 1, personally I wouldnt trust a tcm update to fix it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Had a 78 Chevy Blazer that spit out fluid and turned torque converters blue. I finally figured out that the return line from the stock xmsn oil cooler wasn't getting warm...the case hadn't been drilled all the way through, so no oil was circulating...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently had my truck into the stealer to replace the cooler lines. Only took 3 months for parts, and in constant -30C below temps I monitored my fluid levels. I stated to the stealer that they should give me a couple of jugs of tranny fluid, since it wasn't my problem they couldnt get parts. The cooler lines has been an identified problem for some time. Why replace faulty lines with the same???

So while I was at the stealer they told me about this TCM upgrade for extreme low temps. I received my letter after the re-program. They did the re-program and all seemed fine, except the engine light has been on since. So I call make another appointment, 1-1/2 later I get an appointment to get it looked at....

Today, at -28C my truck went into limp mode...

It's all coming together now!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If GM waits long enough, this issue will be addressed by global warming. You guys up there in the North will be installing transmission coolers instead of reprogramming the TCM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If GM waits long enough, this issue will be addressed by global warming. You guys up there in the North will be installing transmission coolers instead of reprogramming the TCM.

enahs, you my friend are correct.....We'll be livin in Africa heat in no time...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Anzacron, what does the TCM recalibration do? Does the truck warm up any slower? Why is your check engine light on, can you pull a code? I'm scheduled to go in on the 20th for the recal. and new lines (my 4th set). Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Anzacron, what does the TCM recalibration do? Does the truck warm up any slower? Why is your check engine light on, can you pull a code? I'm scheduled to go in on the 20th for the recal. and new lines (my 4th set). Thanks.

Dan
With the new calibration, In extreme cold weather the warm-up runs at 50/50 on and off, 1 minute at a time. This prevents putting too much heat into the converter when there's no flow through the cooling system.

Dex6 doesn't flow through the air to oil cooler up front below -40.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can't pull a code, but am hoping the stealer fills me in.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Why dont you run a differnt fluid that wont gel? Such as transynd, amsoil, or mobil 1, personally I wouldnt trust a tcm update to fix it.
X2, I'd be runnin a TES-295

1 - 16 of 16 Posts