Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: my transmission just froze. my relable mechanic said that it looks like the bonded pistons were leaking pressure and my transmission needs replacement 3400.oo. the c2 friction and steel plates are gone.
my duamax is a 2002 with 88,000 miles and no heavy towing.
Is their any help i can get? i bought this truck because of the trans mission would last a long time.
I have owned 5 vechiles and never had a transmission go out.
can anybody suggest any advice

I just had ababy and trying to build a house,what bad luck.

rick

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Your going to have to provide more information as to the failure.

Any codes?
Define locked up?
Any added power in it's life?

The Allison has proven to be very reliable stock.Sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
allison

i dont run any thing but a stock truck. i have for wheel drive and put synthetic fluid in at 32,000 miles. the truck over drive quite working on the way to work,45 miles. I keep speed below 60. When i was at work i put truck into four wheel drive trying to see if that would help.I took it out afetr about 10 yards. The truck then wont go into reverse.The r was blinking. I then had tuck towed to trans mission shop.
They only thing they could come up with is i lost line pressure which caused my transmission to melt the plates. i guess the temp was so hot the it burnt the thing up. the fluid level was normal. The c2 area was competely smoked.
the codes are p101, p0540,p0700,pu1000

thanks for your time

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Ever change the spin on filter?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The spin on is the "main control filter" and can produce low operating pressures if clogged. The manual is pretty "liberal" on the recommended changeout, but experts have recommended frequent changes and many are changing it on a short interval such as 5000 to 7500 miles. It may be too late now, but I suspect it may have been part of the problem by reducing pressure with that high a mileage on the cartridge.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
What kind of fluid did you put in?

Its very rare for a stock powered Allison to last such a short time...Id be curious to know exactly what burned up.

For 3400 dollars your best bet is to go with a Suncoast III rebuild kit. High performance Alto clutches and Kolene steels. If you are going to be spending that much money you're much better off going with a full tranny upgrade than buying a stock one for the same price!! Dont pay for a stock one!

Ben

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
100,000 mile engine warentee, drivetrain is under the regular 3/36

·
Registered
334 Posts
88,000 miles and you changed the spin-on at 35,000!:eek:

53K on the spin on, I wonder why it burned up?):h

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
You can get your tranny upgraded from stock for $3400. check out a suncoast stage III or an ATS...and never look back...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the info,back in 2002 when the truck was new ,i thought changing filter ever 30,000 miles was normal. i did run synthetic.
I have not follwed this site in few years. i will have to stay on top of the filterchange. i didnt think this transmission was so sensitive.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sounds like something else caused the failure besides a control main filter though.

What did they use to scan the codes? They're generic trans codes, not allison specific..

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
what kind of synthetic fluid?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i used the recommened fliud at this site,i believe transend or some spelling like this. the truck never pulled any thing close to its max.I pulled my 14 ft composite flats boat and 40 hp motor about 5 times a year600 mile trip. That probably weighs 1500lbs.
The last thing i pulled was a golf car on small trailer. The engine was broken in correctly.
When you put all that hard earned money in a truck you believe in and support the usa, it depresses you to think your friend gets 250,000 miles out his last 3 toyota 4 wheel drive pick ups with out any problems and payed alot less.
I wish this had the same warranty as the motor. I dont know if i will buy any more chev pickups.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Two recommendation in summary for all the above...

1. change your filter regulary

2. Suncoast threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
i dont run any thing but a stock truck. i have for wheel drive and put synthetic fluid in at 32,000 miles. the truck over drive quite working on the way to work,45 miles. I keep speed below 60. When i was at work i put truck into four wheel drive trying to see if that would help.I took it out afetr about 10 yards. The truck then wont go into reverse.The r was blinking. I then had tuck towed to trans mission shop.
They only thing they could come up with is i lost line pressure which caused my transmission to melt the plates. i guess the temp was so hot the it burnt the thing up. the fluid level was normal. The c2 area was competely smoked.
the codes are p101, p0540,p0700,pu1000

thanks for your time
Replace the NSBU switch as well..........the "R" Blinking is usually an indication that it went bad.

Have you seen the parts yet ????

P0101 is a Maf Sensor Code
P0540 Is and Intake Air Heater Code
P0700 is a Transmission Code
U1000 is a class 2 data link fault

Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts