Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone else has managed to blow their allison transmission yet. I have a 2004.5 lly with a mere 15k miles and I grenaded the "bulletproof" trans.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
What level was the quadzilla on?? The trannies are bulletproof at stock power levels not it increased ones. And yes there are a few who have grenaded the tranny

Edit: increases past 90hp

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
how did you "grenade" it and what were you doing when it "grenaded".

did you ever limp it ever?

grenaded I dont think is the right word. Allisons dont "grenade" like some tranny's. They just slip and burn all the clutch packs into oblivion. If you were racing around running teh Quadzilla on MAX then its no surprise you burned it up. The transmission was designed for "X" horsepower. You put more HP thru it than it was designed for. The Allison is more or less bulletproof at STOCK power levels. Its not going to last its normal 200-300k miles with another 150 hp going thru it. You cant get something for nothing. :(

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
burned up cluches and steals,maybe hurt converter,and cracked forward drum

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
how do you crack a forward drum on an Ally?

btw its just "the drum". An Allison only has one.

you probably just burned the clutches and glazed the steels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
truck is at dealer.they said they have not seen one as bad as this

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Not that I dont beleive you, and dont take any offence when I ask this, but do you think you'd be able to get pics of the cracked drum and clutches?

Mike L (trans expert) may have something to say, but I dont think a Quad would have enough power to crack the C1/C2 drum. It is about 11" in diameter, 3/16" thick, and wieghs maybe 10 pounds...all I can think of is a manufacturing defect :confuzeld:

Best of luck getting back up on the road soon.

--Ben

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
While the Allison might be bulletproof, it is not tuner proof.

If you were being attacked by an army of Allisons, you should drop your M-16 and pick up a handheld tuner. :yup:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
The Allison is "drop proof". I know that for a fact. :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
While the Allison might be bulletproof, it is not tuner proof.

If you were being attacked by an army of Allisons, you should drop your M-16 and pick up a handheld tuner. :yup:
:lol: ):h :laugh_exp :lol2: :funnypost :exactly:
I dont care who ya are, thats funny right there now!
:grd:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
If you let the dealer rebuild it, your just wasting your time. You'll burn it up again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will try to get some pics for you

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Back to earlier question...warranty covered-up? :D ...or if you're payin' I hope you go aftermarket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still has warranty.dealer does not know what GM is going to say.rebiuld or replace. hope to have an answer soon.they had my truck for nine days.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Unless you are going to leave your truck stock, or stick to 65HP or less for tuners, you WILL hurt your transmission. It's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Never heard of a cracked drum. Seen cracked C1 piston once. Need pictures. I can try and explane when I see them.
mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would like to see those pics.but my truk has only 16,000 miles on it total.i think i should have got more out of the trans.or am i wrong?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
With a big tune, I limped a brand new Allison in just a few minutes. Five 1/4mi passes knocked it out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts