Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an LLY and we are having tranny problems. What would be the best tranny upgrades we can do to it. The truck is lifted on a 6inch. lift with 35inch tires. Its a duelly long bed 4x4. We also Have stacked chips air intake and exhaulst. What would we have eo do to make it better?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Suncoast Trans. PM some of the vendors on here and they'll walk ya through it. We have some really helpful vendors on here.
Could you maybe get a pic of your dads truck and post it? I havent seen many lifted duallys and am interested in looking at that one! :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just go for the complete tranny replacment, suncoast 5 or complete ats tranny, sounds like the truck get used hard, so probally not worth rebuilding. Just my .02. Another plus in complete tranny is, it will be there when you add more power. Bill

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
my2500hd;1591405; said:
Just go for the complete tranny replacment, suncoast 5 or complete ats tranny, sounds like the truck get used hard, so probally not worth rebuilding. Just my .02. Another plus in complete tranny is, it will be there when you add more power. Bill
Why would you say " not worth rebuilding " ? Allisons rarely wear out more than a few clutches and a converter. How many unrebuildable Allisons have you seen?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Mike L.;1591618; said:
Why would you say " not worth rebuilding " ? Allisons rarely wear out more than a few clutches and a converter. How many unrebuildable Allisons have you seen?
On another note, How many have you seen Mike?? Just wondering, what kind of abuse it really takes to wear out hard parts along with the clutches:) :)

Sorry back on topic

·
Registered
199 Posts
id go the suncoast or ats route, havent dealt with a suncoast but i have an ats transmission in my cummins and one in my powerjoke. i think there a great tranny.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Wolford;1591643; said:
On another note, How many have you seen Mike?? Just wondering, what kind of abuse it really takes to wear out hard parts along with the clutches:) :)

Sorry back on topic
From my experience only the front drum wears where the stator rings ride and where the C2 steels begin to notch the grooves inside the drum. Bushings will wear out in the gear train. Shafts will break under high horsepower.

·
Registered
282 Posts
mike l.;1591618; said:
why would you say " not worth rebuilding " ? allisons rarely wear out more than a few clutches and a converter. How many unrebuildable allisons have you seen?[/quote

sorry, i didnt mean it like that, i just meant cost wise i would go with a complete trans, i priced having my old ally rebuilt and just installing a complete trans, and complete was only about 1000$ more, and like i said when i do add more power, i know the trans is goning to handle it. Sorry about the misunderstanding

bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts