Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Wanted To Change The Tranny Fluid In A 05 Lly With The Allsion. My Question Is "is There A Drain Plug For The Transmission? And How Much Fluid Should I Be Putting Back In When I Drain It? And Also What Type Does Everybody Prefer? I'm Sure This Has Been Discussed Many Times I Just Couldn't Find It

Thanks

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yes, there's a drain plug and usually drains a little less than 8 qts., along with what comes out of the external filter (the amount can vary a little). If everything has been fine with the current level, then put back in the same amount as comes out. Measuring it can get a little messy if you're not careful.

Try to end up with the level in the middle of the hot hash marked area on the dipstick when you're done, and when the transmission is warmed up (180*F). Being winter, if you can't get it nearly that warm you might go a little lower on the level.

Don't forget to change the external filter, too. Genuine Allison is the best filter, available at truck service centers that handle Allisons. And they're usually the least expensive, too. And be sure to transfer the magnet.

Best fluid is Transynd (Allison synthetic), but can be hard to find. I used Mobil 1 ATF (label said Mercon and "Dexron for older GM" because I don't think they can say Dexron III any longer, and it wasn't Dexron VI yet; that was 6 months ago, so things may have changed). Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF is suppose to be available now(?) or soon, and is suppose to be even better. Amsoil people just love the Amsoil Synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts