Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my GMC dealer service my Allison tranny yesterday. Much to my surprise they replaced the "in-pan" filter (at significant cost)! When I asked they said it was GM policy.

In the Allison Owners Manual page 56 it says replace only at overhaul, but I can't find that statement in my GM literature. In fact, my GMC owners manual, in the Maintenance section, refers to "transmission filters (PLURAL)".

Where is it written in the GM literature that the sump filter is to be replaced only at the time of overhaul.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I would have a look and see if you can see any evidence of the tranny pan being removed.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
GMFAN

I would complain ....

Just make sure they didn't right it up wrong and just replace the spin on ....

Did the replace all the fluid ?

What is the part number on the filter they changed ?

If I may ,what did they charge ?

Mac

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tell them you did not authorize it, and ask them to put yours back in. I can e-mail you the official Allison owners manual that clearly states the internal filter is only to be changed during an overhaul. You could go on to complain that their removing the pan could allow dirt in, and cause you future leaks. They probably won't actually put your filter back, but they would probably remove it from your bill.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More Power: Pan looks very clean and probably was dropped. Actually I've got good feelings about these guys and don't think they'd rip me off.

Mac: I will return later to discuss (complain?) this further. When I telephoned, the service writer said Yes, they had routinely replaced both tranny filters per standard practice. He offered to show me their GM shop instructions that direct them to replace both. I'll see it my next visit. If this works, here's the pertinent portion of my invoice:

Amric: Thanks, I had previously downloaded the Allison Owners Manual and will have it with me when I next visit the dealer.

All: Still wish I could find GM literature consistent with Allison!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
<H1>Explanation of Scheduled Services</H1>

For time and/or mileage intervals of scheduled maintenance items, refer to Maintenance Schedule .

The following text and illustrations describe the details of the required scheduled maintenance services.

For information on the proper fluids and lubricants to use, refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations .

Automatic Transmission

Change both the fluid and the filter according to the maintenance schedule intervals. For maintenance schedule information, refer to Maintenance Schedule .

For the fluid and filter changing procedure, refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid/Filter Replacement in Automatic Transmission 4L60-E or Automatic Transmission Fluid/Filter Replacement in Automatic Transmission 4L80-E.

Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid/Filter Replacement Allison Transmission.

This is from document #855690

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
<H1>Automatic Transmission Fluid/Filter Replacement</H1><A name=ss1-655283><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=655283&evc=sm&pubid=297&cellId=7797&mspsdsubkey=2297#ss1-655283" target="_blank">
<H5>Removal Procedure</A></H5>

1. <H4>Important</H4>

DO NOT drain the fluid if only the control main filter is being replaced.

<LI =1>Remove drain plug (6) and drain plug seal (5). Drain the transmission fluid into a suitable container.
    <LI =1>Inspect the drained fluid. Refer to Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure .

<H4>Important</H4>

Use a standard strap-type filter wrench to remove the control main filter.

<LI =1>Remove filter (4) by rotating it in the counterclockwise direction.
    <LI =1>Remove the magnet (2) from the filter attachment tube (1) in the converter housing or from the top of the control main filter (3).
    <LI =1>Clean any metal debris from the magnet. Presence of any metal pieces larger than dust may indicate that transmission replacement or overhaul is required. </LI>
<A name=ss2-655283><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=655283&evc=sm&pubid=297&cellId=7797&mspsdsubkey=2297#ss2-655283" target="_blank">
<H5>Installation Procedure</A></H5>

1. <LI =1>Reinstall the magnet (2) onto the filter attachment tube (1) which is in the converter housing.
    <LI =1>Lubricate the gasket (3) on the control main filter with transmission fluid.
    <LI =1>Install, by hand, the control main filter (4) until the gasket on the control main filter touches the converter housing.

<H4>Notice</H4>

Turning the control-main filter more than ONE FULL TURN after gasket contact will damage the filter and may cause fluid leakage.

<LI =1>Turn the filter ONE FULL TURN ONLY after gasket contact.

<H4>Notice</H4>

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

<LI =1>Reinstall the drain plug (6) and drain plug seal (5). Tighten

Tighten the drain plug to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).
    <LI =1>Refill Transmission with DEXRON®III Automatic Transmission Fluid. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications .

<H4>Important</H4>

DTC P0701 may often set following fluid service. Cycling the ignition clears the code and allows Drive or Reverse

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
From my experiences with getting new sump filters, they have all been paper element type. A screen type comes original. If you now have a paper one you will need to continue to change it regularly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
GMCSID

I'm considering changing over to the Allison or Mag Hytech deep pan with extended filter. Do you know if the extended filters are paper or metal screen? I don't want to have to drop the pan and make the internal filter part of my regular maintenance, for the sake of adding a few quarts of additional fluid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, especially GMCSID. I appreciate the effort you put into trying to help.

It's looking to me that GM has not taken Allison's position on the need to change the sump filter. I'll know better when I get to the shop and review their written directions for tranny service. I'll certainly report back whatever I learn.

Has anyone else had a dealer tranny service? Was the sump filter replaced or not?

I'll also try to determine the nature of the new sump filter. If it's paper I'll do whatever is necessary to get it restored to original!Edited by: GMFAN

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
TC Dmax said:
GMCSID

I'm considering changing over to the Allison or Mag Hytech deep pan with extended filter. Do you know if the extended filters are paper or metal screen? I don't want to have to drop the pan and make the internal filter part of my regular maintenance, for the sake of adding a few quarts of additional fluid.

I have taken apart light truck transmissions with the shallow pan and medium duty ones with the deep pan. Both have had the metal screen type but evertime I have ordered a new one it has been a paper type. So I don't know if you can get a new screen type or not. You could call your local Allison distributor and ask someone there to find out for sure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the info GMCSID.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys I orders a deep pan filter from the allision dealer close to me, it was paper like the one that came out, and it cost $19. I used a mag hytec pan and diff cover looks great! no problems with the install I did it my self. I used amsoil series 2000 in the rearend and the syn atf. dropped my trans temp about 10 degrees.

cwinter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had the final discussion with the Service Manager. Turns out they have been replacing sump filters during tranny service based solely on the use of the word "filters" (plural) in the Service Manual! He got confirmation from his tech support that GM intention is to follow Allison's recommendation to change it only as part of major overhaul. "Filters" in the manual is just a misprint!

He, his parts guy, and the tech who did the work all say the replacement filter is the same as the original. No evidence or indication that it is paper. So now I don't know what to think. Guess I'll call our local Allison dealer and see what I can learn about replacements. I wonder if all of you who went to the deep pan now have paper filters in the sump.

I mostly let him off the hook. I didn't try to get my wasted money back, but will get my next oil change free.

·
Registered
429 Posts
GMFAN,

Not sure on the '02's, but on my '04 the factory internal filter was paper, just like the deep pan filter I put on with the Mag-Hytech.

Josh

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just bought the deep pan with internal filter last week from an Allison dealer and all I could get was the paper type. The Allison dealer told me the part number has changed from 29537966 up to 29536891 even though the part number on the housing still says 29537966. It has the words Filtran-MicroFelt on it(paper) He said you can't get the metal screen type unless you can find old stock somewhere. This place does a lot of OTR/large truck and Bus repair, specifically Allison repair and he stocks a lot of stuff for both the Duramax engine and Allison 1000 series tranny. I asked him about the paper filter (does it now become a regular maintenance item) and he said only at overhaul. Everything remains the same as it was with the metal screen filter. This was confirmed by 2 of the mechanics in the shop also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you've got it right, TC Dmax. I did a search for 29537965 (my new shallow pan filter) and finally found a statement in an Allison catalog that: "29537965 replaces 29537614". At the bottom of the page it said "Copyright 2001 by General Motors Corp." That indicates to me that as long ago as 2001 GM was using the Filtran-Microfelt (paper).

I then searched for 29537614 and came up only with that very same catalog page, no source for the old item. Guess I'll try tomorrow to confirm with our local Allison dealer the info you got from yours.

All very interesting and I wish my GMC dealer had left the sump filter alone!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Called our local Detroit Diesel/Allison dealer, talked to the parts guy. He was very helpful. He read to me from Allison Bulletin SIL #14-1 K2K-01 dated July 2001.

29537965 is the new (2001) improved sump filter, part of on-going product improvement. Incorporates the Filtran-Microfelt for better filtering and more surface area than the earlier screen filter. The bulletin contains the clear, concise statement that the new improved sump filter is to be replaced only at the time of tranny overhaul.

I'm now satisfied!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That's good news for mainatenace costs. I wonder what makes the paper filter in the Allison different from the one in 4L80Es and 4L60Es, and how it can last the life of the trans while the others need regular servicing. They look like they have the same paper and are almost the same in size.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My guess is that the "microfelt" is specified with a very open weave (or whatever) such that it passes the fines and collects only the "chunks", just as the screen did. I have enough confidence in the Allison designers and engineers to believe that what's in there is appropriate!

Is there an Allison tech aboard who could post a copy of that SIL? It would make interesting reading for many of us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts