Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious here. Would a really dirty spin on filter make the Allison slip at all? I noticed my tranny slipping a while back and decided to change the filter and ATF. The ATF looked good-red and sweet smelling. The filter was full of crud and was missing the magnet. I filled up the tranny and put on a new spin on sans magnet because at 2am everything was closed. No more slipping
. Now all I gotta do is get me a magnet and pop it in there ASAP. Nick

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
IF and I use that loosely, sure if restriction of fluid was happening ....
Thing is "what" plugged the filter if that were the case ?? Under normal conditions not likely to happen ....
I have heard of it happening before but with many many many miles ....
What makes you think you were slipping ??

Mac

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
From personal experience, a clogged filter should throw a code long before you notice any real slippage. My spin-on filter was changed @ 500miles just to get the gunk out of it from assembly. At 5000 miles it started throwing codes. GM tech said that the filter needs to be changed @ 5k. So he changed it and "Viola" everything has been great since.

JPEdited by: Heartbeat Hauler

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, she was slipping Mac. Although she wouldn't slip if I was real easy on it. The revs would go up and sorta "jump" but wouldn't shift into the next gear until I let off the go pedal. It would do that going in gears 3-4-5. It's all good now after I changed out the spin on but like I said there was a lot of crud in there. Not having the magnet in there didn't help either I guess. Weird how it didn't throw any codes. Gonna have it checked out before I have the lift installed. Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts