Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of having the spin on filter and how often do you change it. My book says change at first service and that is all. ????

·
Registered
812 Posts
For as cheap and easy as it is to change them, I do it every 10K miles with the oil. Just remember to swap the magnet.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
What is the purpose of having the spin on filter and how often do you change it. My book says change at first service and that is all. ????
Spin on filter is the control main filter and filters everything that goes to the solenoids and valvebody.This filters status is critical to the life and performance of your Allison. How do you know when it becomes restricted? You don't. That is my point.:D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats pretty much how I have been thinking.....Error on the safe side.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
I change mine every other oil change... cheap insurance if you ask me. I also drain the tranny pan with the oil and refill. The fluid is always red but I plow a lot and run dino fluid... not that it really gets that hot... but for an extra ten bucks worth of fluid I don't mind. One thing that a lot of my buddies seem to overlook is the transfer case, they change out the diffs and everything else but forget the t-case... all the power goes through there as well, and it's not a cheap part to replace. I've got 142,000 miles on my 01 and plowed a lot with it... nothing major yet (knock on wood!!).

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
service interval on the spin on is at first service then every 25K and fluid change thereafter under "severe service", 50K otherwise. The only time to change the internal filter is at overhaul.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
service interval on the spin on is at first service then every 25K and fluid change thereafter under "severe service", 50K otherwise. The only time to change the internal filter is at overhaul.
Think you need to get your head out of the owners manual and use some common sense. Look at that tiny filter. This tiny filter is the life blood of the Ally. We have all read the manual and found it lacking as far as service.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Think you need to get your head out of the owners manual and use some common sense. Look at that tiny filter. This tiny filter is the life blood of the Ally. We have all read the manual and found it lacking as far as service.

Um........ :exactly:

Please listen to Mike he wont steer you in the wrong direction,he will only help you!

·
Registered
221 Posts
with all due respect to everyones experiance/observation/opinions........if after the first filter change, you are causing enough trash to be run through the filter to cause it to clog up and reduce flow and inhibit performance to the point where you need to change the filter in less than 25000 miles.........you need to quit tearing your **** up.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
with all due respect to everyones experiance/observation/opinions........if after the first filter change, you are causing enough trash to be run through the filter to cause it to clog up and reduce flow and inhibit performance to the point where you need to change the filter in less than 25000 miles.........you need to quit tearing your **** up.
With all due respect is your magnet clean every time you drop the spin on?You do realize the magnet ONLY catches metal particles.

Where is the balance of non-magnetic (clutch material) particles going?Filter Media

IMO for $7 bucks while your under the truck at a oil change,drop the Alley spin on and throw it in the trash clean the magnet and reinstall with a fresh cartridge.

Sometimes the overkill is worth longevity.There is NO monitoring system.

But hey you do what you'd like,I recommend a more aggressive interval changes :)

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
You da man. :rolleyes: With all due respect to you; if you don't know what you're talking about you should not be giving tech tips. ( polite way of saying stfu ) One more thing. When you pay for my truck then you tell me what to do with it.:D

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
every 5k, along with the oil/filter and the fuel filter.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do u fill the filter with tranny fluid before you put it back on??

·
Registered
221 Posts
ouch, such hostility, ill buy you guys a beer if im ever out that way. why are we assuming i dont know what im talking about? i dont remember giving a "tech tip" it was only an opinon, like everyone else. nor did i tell anyone what to do with their truck. all i said was....show me a filter plugged/clogged up at less than 25000 miles and ill show you an abused tranny.....again just an opinion. and besides sometimes tearing **** up is fun.

now bear in mind i have no interest in mods, just standard service. but i seriously hope the ally is stronger than what this forum would have me believe as i had strong reserves against buying an automatic for even light duty towing duty. i guess we will find out over time, ill let you guys know how the 25000 filter changes schdule serves me over time. if i dont run 150,000 before a rebuild, i guess it will have to be mannys the rest of the way.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
ouch, such hostility, ill buy you guys a beer if im ever out that way. why are we assuming i dont know what im talking about? i dont remember giving a "tech tip" it was only an opinon, like everyone else. nor did i tell anyone what to do with their truck. all i said was....show me a filter plugged/clogged up at less than 25000 miles and ill show you an abused tranny.....again just an opinion. and besides sometimes tearing **** up is fun.

now bear in mind i have no interest in mods, just standard service. but i seriously hope the ally is stronger than what this forum would have me believe as i had strong reserves against buying an automatic for even light duty towing duty. i guess we will find out over time, ill let you guys know how the 25000 filter changes schdule serves me over time. if i dont run 150,000 before a rebuild, i guess it will have to be mannys the rest of the way.
Well I'm on the East coast and Mike on the West but I'll buy you a beer or two or when you say "I'm done" if your ever in CT and take you for a ride in a modified Duramax that I will guarantee put a smile on your face!

No harm my Friend everyone is welcome to their opinion! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Finally got to mine (5013 miles)... VERY easy.

Question though....

I prefilled the filter to its top, let it sit, and then filled it again until it wouldnt soak in anymore. Should I add the extra pint that could have been lost?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Change it at 500 miles when you first get the truck and then I do every or every other oil change(depending what my oil change interval is) but it gets done at least every 10k or so. I clean and put the mag back on then prefill the filter till it wont take anymore and then check the level after that

1 - 20 of 44 Posts