Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading different threads on the Allison spin filter, which is required to change each 5000-7500 miles. When I purchased my truck, all filters and fluids were changed (truck had 13 000km), now I am wondering if they DID put back the magnet. Conversely, my question is this, what role does the magnet play and what would happen if I find out it is not there? :uhoh2:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
The magnet picks up steel particles too small to be caught in the filter as well as those that would prematurely plug the filter element and reduce flow. If yours is missing, no biggie, just get another one. A couple of our vendors stock them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Hulk76;1565004; said:
I have been reading different threads on the Allison spin filter, which is required to change each 5000-7500 miles. When I purchased my truck, all filters and fluids were changed (truck had 13 000km), now I am wondering if they DID put back the magnet. Conversely, my question is this, what role does the magnet play and what would happen if I find out it is not there? :uhoh2:

Actually the filter is reccomended to be replaced after the FIRST 5000 miles on the vehicle. After that it is reccomended to be replaced with fluid at 25,000 mile intervals for heavy towing and 50,000 miles for normal towing(see your owners manuel). Many like to change the filter at shorter intervals for piece of mind as it is easy and cheap to do. I change mine every 10,000 miles or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, will certainly take a look to see if they did install it. If I ask this to my service manager, he will surely say "Oh yeah, sure, our guys have been doing this for a long time". Better be safe than sorry.:eek::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,504 Posts
There's a LOT of metal-to-metal contact in the Allison. There's also a bunch of solenoid operated valves in the valve body. Metal filings plus solenoid valves is not a good thing. The magnet is there to capture and hold those filings. Positives about not having it are that it does its job on the "dirty" or intake side of the filter cartridge and the filter will still trap all but the smallest metallic particles. Also, there's a small rubber magnet glued into the rear corner of the tranny pan that also traps ferrous trash.

As far as filter change intervals. I changed mine at 1500 miles when the truck was new to get my "break in" trash out. I was using 20 to 25,000 after that, but tranny gurus and people a lot smarter about the Allison than I am have recommended more frequent changes on a 5K interval. At $10 a filter, with a pint of ATF, it's cheap protection for your tranny and not such a tough task to spin on a new one that often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Idle_Chatter;1565147; said:
There's a LOT of metal-to-metal contact in the Allison. There's also a bunch of solenoid operated valves in the valve body. Metal filings plus solenoid valves is not a good thing. The magnet is there to capture and hold those filings. Positives about not having it are that it does its job on the "dirty" or intake side of the filter cartridge and the filter will still trap all but the smallest metallic particles. Also, there's a small rubber magnet glued into the rear corner of the tranny pan that also traps ferrous trash.

As far as filter change intervals. I changed mine at 1500 miles when the truck was new to get my "break in" trash out. I was using 20 to 25,000 after that, but tranny gurus and people a lot smarter about the Allison than I am have recommended more frequent changes on a 5K interval. At $10 a filter, with a pint of ATF, it's cheap protection for your tranny and not such a tough task to spin on a new one that often.
:exactly: Cheap insurance and maintenance for the Allison tranny. Eric at www.gmdieseltech.com and some other vendors sells the oem filters for a good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Oil & Tranny Filter

I've been using Amsoil 15W-40 going 20K on the oil and change oil filter ever 10K. I've got the oil test a few time @ 20K and had great results. I did flush the tranny out and swapped to Amsoil ATF. Since swapping to there ATF I hardly ever find any metal on the magnet. It seems to shift alot smoother with there ATF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Hulk76;1565037; said:
Thanks for your replies, will certainly take a look to see if they did install it. If I ask this to my service manager, he will surely say "Oh yeah, sure, our guys have been doing this for a long time". Better be safe than sorry.:eek::
I had the first oil change and spin filter done at the dealer and I told them to save me the filers and sure enough the old spin filter had the magnet on it. I didn't check it until the next day and called the dealer and told them they didn't put it on and they said to bring it in and they will put on a new filter with the magnet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
chevy max 06;1568142; said:
I had the first oil change and spin filter done at the dealer and I told them to save me the filers and sure enough the old spin filter had the magnet on it. I didn't check it until the next day and called the dealer and told them they didn't put it on and they said to bring it in and they will put on a new filter with the magnet.
Good idea that you had them return the old filter to you...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top