Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bully dog set on the power mode (+90hp I think). I put about 60 easy miles on to let the transmission learn. Well, I decided to push it a little and while I was accelerating at about 30-35 mph it seemed to slip for a second or so. I backed off a little, it shifted and it continued to accelerate normally. It is possible the tires broke loose for a second, but it felt more like the transmission was slipping. No limp mode, not lights. Any ideas? I don't want to do any damage (at least not quickly). I have 10k miles. Thanks.:eek:

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
If you are going to teach the Ally to handle more power, you need to drive more agressively not easy. This does not mean go out and hammer it just harder than normal. The Ally needs to feel a little slippage( not a lot ) so that the TCM can react to the additional tq being requested. You need to back off that 90 hp tune cause it won't hold it very long.
mike

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not doubt your expertise, but most of the posts I have read on here have said that 90 was about the most you could use safely. And with this being an LLY I thought I would be just a little more than the LBZ. Are you saying I could limp the transmission with the power tune? Or that the transmission will just wear more than usual? (I do not push it hard very often). I am a power junkie, but I can't afford a trans upgrade just yet.:help:

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
You might be safe for a while, I don;t know. Different trucks do better than others. Maybe you slipped your tires. As far as what you have read about 90 hp being safe; throw that out the window. If I jump out of a 5 story building and kive; will you? Probably not.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I do not doubt your expertise, but most of the posts I have read on here have said that 90 was about the most you could use safely. And with this being an LLY I thought I would be just a little more than the LBZ. Are you saying I could limp the transmission with the power tune? Or that the transmission will just wear more than usual? (I do not push it hard very often). I am a power junkie, but I can't afford a trans upgrade just yet.:help:
The LBZ is more suseptible to limping the trans due to it's increased power stock over the LB7 and LLY. It's mainly the Torque that kills the trans. Back the Tuner down a notch and it might last you longer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to have a problem backing down. It reminds me of whne I could afford my first color TV set. Could never go back to watching black and white. I guess I will have to save up for a trans upgrade. Switching back to economy/tow mode!!-:t

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to have a problem backing down. It reminds me of whne I could afford my first color TV set. Could never go back to watching black and white. I guess I will have to save up for a trans upgrade. Switching back to economy/tow mode!!-:t

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mistake. :duh: I stated that I was adding 90 hp, when in reality it is listed as 69 hp and 209 ft/lbs.

Will this hurt the Alli? Can I run on this power setting? (Obviously I like the way it runs on the power setting.):ro)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts