Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
989 Posts
The highest temps I have seen are over 200 deg while driving around town in stop and go traffic on a warm So_Cal summer day. Driving across the Desert and pulling a trailer with outside air temp at 110 deg, the tranny runs cooler than the 200 mentioned above.

So its interesting what Chuntag95 mentions above, a change to the tranny. Why the change if 200 is OK per Allison?

On edit - maybe when pulling a max load in stop-n-go traffic it would go way above 200?Edited by: OC_DMAX

· Registered
989 Posts
OK,

I edited the post above and changed 210 to 200 deg. I can never keep the scales on the oil and trans gauges straight. So I meant to say 200 deg F after looking at the gauges in the truck (mid scale trans temp). Not much difference though.

If I drive around town with the Tow/Haul engaged it helps slightly. Seems very dependent on outside air temp.

A64Pilot - is yours a Chev or GMC out of curiousity? The Chevys have the bow tie directly in front of the trans cooler, while the GMC is more open (I believe).

I have had a new Chev truck every two or three years. The prior truck was a 2000 Chev 2500 with a 6.0L gas engine. Whenever I pulled my trailer plus motorcylces to the desert (about 7K pound load total - not much compared to some of you), the transmission temp gauge would rise up slightly when pulling hills, but when the viscous (sp) controlled fan kicked on, the temp dropped immediately. On the DMAX with same exact load, once the temp builds up in the Allison, it stays for a long time. Does not matter how many times the fan comes on. The trans temp is also very dependent on the outside air temp. Looks to me like the cooling capacity of the air trans cooler is just marginal. So I changed to Transynd and will just live with it. Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Alan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.