Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case no one has noticed..

There are very few issues with the Allison.

I mean... it's just about dead quiet on Allison problems.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I had one this weekend with burnt up C2 and C3's... Only had 11k on it too! Manufacture defect? nope, too many boxes

Its fixed up now with a big ol purple convertor and a few non stock parts in it

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have one that will be on the ground for me tommorrow morning with no C3 clutch apply. The fluid looks good though.

But you're right Hoot, I don't see many problems with Allisons. Just NSBU switches.Edited by: GMCSID

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine will be dead in a few more weeks,
although so-far, I havn't been able to get it to slip. At least not enough to Zing or Limp.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Eric, you have another one in the shop that has a shot tq converter and I'm sure the clutches are burnt!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted problems on here earlier about my tranny going into limp mode (NSBU switch).

I had it happen again, and while they were changing the NSBU, they checked the oil and it was badly burnt again. ONLY 1000 KMS AFTER THE LAST CHANGE/FLUSH!! Thats with normal driving-no towing.

I should hear the verdict tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was planning to change my spin on allison filter. Will there be a lot of oil comming out or will it just be the oil in the filter I will loose??. Will the oil keeping draining out with the filter off??

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
the rock said:
I was planning to change my spin on allison filter. Will there be a lot of oil comming out or will it just be the oil in the filter I will loose??. Will the oil keeping draining out with the filter off??

You will loose a bit of oil as well. Maybe 1/2 quart? Probably not even that much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just got my truck back today -- 51,000 miles -- new nsbu switch -- cost me $342.52 at the chevy dealer

my friend got his back -- 58,000 miles -- new nsbu switch -- $400.00 including the tow bill

There must be a problem out there and Allison is not taking responsibility for this part failure!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
OK I am missing something here..

Is the NSBU switch not a warranty item?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Lonewolf867 said:
OK I am missing something here..

Is the NSBU switch not a warranty item?

Not after 3/36

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Changing the Allison spin on yields about a pint ....

They are some pricy NSBU switch replacements at the dealer .... I've heard just over a couple hundred bucks .... Even at that it's pricy for an hours labor plus part ....

Mac

·
Registered
3 Posts
dealer says warranty only covers internal transmission problems -- external switches, electrical -- not covered!!

Since Allison revised this part and made some changes -- I think it should be covered -- at least 50%

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just replaced my NSBU last week, this is not a difficult task, took me about 1/2 hour crawling in the snow/mud.

Buy the switch at the Allison dealer NOT the local GM Dealer.

NSBU cost @ Allison Dealer - $ 47.00

NSBU cost @ GM Dealer - $159.00

·
Banned
394 Posts
what the heck is a nsbu switch

·
Registered
576 Posts
Anyone have a pic where this switch is located?

Also who/where is a good allison dealer to buy a new switch?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mike330R said:
Anyone have a pic where this switch is located?

Also who/where is a good allison dealer to buy a new switch?

Do a search in this forum, there are a few threads w/pics. Switch is on drivers side of transmission.

Go to Allisontransmissions.com, there is a dealer locator on the site.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
rickles04 said:
what the heck is a nsbu switch

Neutral Safety Back Up switch.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Again, anytime you are over 36K (out of warranty) and need Allison work take it to an Allison dealer (unless you live in Michigan and you already know where to take it).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts