Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GMC '03 2500HD Duramax with 26,000 kms (or 12,000 miles).

Several weeks ago, after driving through some snowed in roads (no deeper than 12 inches) I had a tranny problem.

First I was unable to manually select 3,2 or 1st (while in 2wd or 4wd) Putting it into drive was even a little stick. The selector would not move past D. Over several hours of normal use on the highway it became worse. Then a failure code came up on my gear indictor screen that said "RANGE SHIFT INHIBITED". At this point it started to slip in and out of gear. I stopped andI had nothing. A few minutes later I had Reverse, but no drive. It made an awful banging sound when I would try to put it in gear as well. The next morning it worked fine and was able to drive it to my GM dealer and they cleared the codes and said it was good to go, by my tranny oil was badly burnt. I changed it (60000 kms early!!!), but they had absolutey no explanation for any of this.

Today, while in 4wd in the city I had the same problem for about 10 seconds, and gone again.

I cannot get an answer from any "Goodwrench mechanic", but it seems like there are a lot of people who know what they're talking about on this forum. Does anybody have any similiar stories or some explanations/advice.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If your fluid was burnt at 12,000 mi you have an internal problem. It will probably happen again. As for the shifter sticking, it sounds like a block of ice might have been stuck behind the shift lever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts