Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no machinist and I have never had an alli apart so dont flame me to much. I just made it back from the shop that is installing my alli tranny and noticed that some of the machining on it didnt look all that great I am wondering if this is normal or do I have a bad tranny? I will post pics up of what I am talking about. The parts dont all look smooth they look like someone just made one pass on a cnc machine and didnt finish smoothing things out. is that normal? Flame suit on!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The splines in the pics are machined on with a process called hobbing. I'm not familiar with the process, but in comparison to some of the parts we have hobbed at work, the quality is similar. The first pic looks rougher than i've seen before, but the second looks ok.

·
Registered
762 Posts
bad surface finish

I work at Agco (we make combines, balers etc.), CNC lathe machinist for 5 years and then in Tooling this past year. We have 5 machines (Hobbs) that make splines like this. We would never send out a part that had a surface finish that rough.
Is this a new part going into your allison or is this the one from your ally?
Why is your tranny in the shop? The splines could have been damaged while it was in your truck if its your old tranny.
If thats a new part, I would return it.
Horrible surface finish, definatly not supposed to be like that!

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
1st of all.....

How many miles do you have do you have on that tranny?

What tune or how much power have you been running through it?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well at the time I had about 22,000 miles on my stock tranny with various tunes on it since 500miles ranging from 65hp to 250hp extra rwhp. The pics are of the stock tranny I thought htat the machining didnt look right. I took the pics while my tranny was apart and being rebuilt. I guess I got a badly machined tranny but it did hold up very well to power levels most people say a stock ally would never see. around 525rwhp and many hours of dyno and drag racing time. Do you guys think the machining on this ally will affect reliability at all?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Those parts look like there from a Rolex, not an Allison!:) As Mike as said.

They are typical and a just fine--don't worry that there appearance isn't what you might have expected--there not going in the Space Shuttle.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
makes me feel better thanks guys

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Railer24;1645901; said:
I work at Agco

You lucky Bastard!!:D The new 9000 series axial flow combines look like impressive machines. ( Have not seen one in person yet. )So are they all ( Gleaner, Challanger, MF ) SISU powered now? Its about time they replaced the Cummins. Do they allow plant tours?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Intentional design? Maybe help carry the trans fluid up into the splines, aid in lubrication?

·
Registered
762 Posts
WilliamBos;1646973; said:
You lucky Bastard!!:D The new 9000 series axial flow combines look like impressive machines. ( Have not seen one in person yet. )So are they all ( Gleaner, Challanger, MF ) SISU powered now? Its about time they replaced the Cummins. Do they allow plant tours?
yes, they allow plant tours.
I believe they are using Valtra- i think thats the name. a diesel engine manufacturer form Finland, Agco bought them out so we could get our diesel engines cheaper.

When designing our new Class 8 combine, Cummins sent us 10 gift wrapped diesel engines to try, we sent them back unopened, with no intention of trying them.
i don't know of any problems with the new engines or the cummins.
you sound like your not happy with the cummins, whats wrong.

PM me to avoid further Highjacking of this thread--sorry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts