Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 with the 8.1 and the ali. Pulled a trailer into and out of the mountains of Co and the oil in my alli turned dark and smelled like it might be burning. Took it in and the dealership check pressure and said they were all right. Dropped the pan and said it had a slimmy black stuff in the bottom of it. They took an oil sample and changed the oil and filter. Lost the oil sample in the mail
. Truck now has 9,000 miles on it and the oil is turning again. Anyone else have anything like this or any ideas?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
what average and maximum temps are you seeing? i take it you are running the stock fluid?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
My money is on a bad torque converter ..... It's mechanical built by man ,it could just be factory defective .....

Shouldn't be long you'll prolly end up in a wont go forward or reverse situation ....

Mac

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mackin said:
My money is on a bad torque converter ..... It's mechanical built by man ,it could just be factory defective .....

Shouldn't be long you'll prolly end up in a wont go forward or reverse situation ....

Mac
You would know

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I just had one in yesterday, dmax with 45k on it. Guy had never been to us before and only came in because quiclube shop said he needed a transservice, we were the only ones that could do it before the holiday.

I used the flush machine, took 8 gallons to even get the red back in it. used a chemical agent to clean it first and treat it after, also changed the external.. Asked if any trans trouble, he looked baffled and wondered why I asked..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The transmission ran just under 200 the week I was in the hills. Thinking of getting an oil analysis kit from work and sending in my own sample to see what is really going on inside.
Then, maybe I can go to these guys with some of my own evidence and see what they have to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts