Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 2500HD with the allison. Has a hypertech on stage three, straight exhaust, K+N drop in. When the pedal is mashed it takes forever to shift in the last two gears, just holds like it has a limiter on. Once the pedal is released it shifts out like it should. What could it be?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Could be the stage 3 you used on a stock tranny .Some one will chime in for you.This is my assumption.And when was the last exterior filter changed?Could be any number of things.Need more info.Mods ,Exhaust.Fluid change regular.An ally man will show up soon.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had the tranny serviced(new fluid and spin on filter) while it was in to get the copper washers put on the bolts and also had the seals replaced on the torque convertor and the pump for the tranny, it was done by the stealer. All fluids have been change when needed. The truck just has a 3-stage hypertech chip, straight exhaust and a K+N drop in filter. It has 20" wheels with 305/50/20 nitto grapplers. It has 52,000 miles on it. Its a 2002.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am sorry for the late post. Are you trying to drive in a colder climate? Has it only happened when it is colder out like -10 degrees F?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, thanks for the response. The coldest weather that the truck has been run in is probably 25 degrees F. I have read a few things on the internet that it could possibly be the springs in the valve body in the tranny, not too exactly sure what they mean by that. They say that they get weak or just break, not too sure on the whole thing. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
The allison tranny pushes about 75 pounds of pressure instead of the 25-30 that a normal tranny does so if that fluid is cooler/cold it wont flow right. I have this problem due to the fact I live in Iowa and we are getting hit by a pretty good ice storm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ajchuck;1615387; said:
I have this problem due to the fact I live in Iowa and we are getting hit by a pretty good ice storm.

This **** is terrible, power has been out half the day, on and off of course.:rolleyes: It's now turning into snow and I trashed the transfer case on my Silverado last weekend and am driving a car. Ugh...the roads are pure ice and there has been a semi truck stuck in a ditch for almost 10 hours now near the town I live by. Maybe if he had a Duramax instead of a Cummins in that 18 wheeler.(joke).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah the weather up here has not been any better. So towns around are without power and the hotels are giving discounts to anyone coming in from a town without power. I only know about the Allison and the pressure part due to the fact I work at a Jiffy Lube that will service them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Chevy_Duramax_Man;1601479; said:
I have a 2002 2500HD with the allison. Has a hypertech on stage three, straight exhaust, K+N drop in. When the pedal is mashed it takes forever to shift in the last two gears, just holds like it has a limiter on. Once the pedal is released it shifts out like it should. What could it be?

It could be the temperatures as mentioned above, but I've also had similar issues with running an oil based air filter on a gas truck. The Allision uses readings from the MAF to determine shift points. If its covered in oil/soot, you might encounter the same problems I had on my 8.1. Just an idea.........

·
Registered
83 Posts
i dont think it is the cold temperatures that cause the problem here in alberta it gets -30 c -40 c sometimes and mine shifts just fine except for the tq lock up untill the tranny warms up a littlebit this was before my tranny went to sh*t lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Chevy_Duramax_Man;1601479; said:
Had same problem. I limped my stock ally only a few times, but it was not wanting to shift on WOT anymore. Allison was ok until I started hot rodding with a trailer on hot juice. Your clutch packs are almost toast, and the line pressures are most likely low. Best of luck for your search for an aftermarket tranny (its in your near future) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
FUEL FILTER!!!!!

when was your last chang?
i had a problem like that i thought it was the trans and the converter cuz i run a bully dog with crazy larry and sometimes i pull a skid streer and i was impressed with how it pulled on performace i was upset for months the i got a bright idea mayb its starving for fuel cuz atlast on stock it would not shift change the fuel filter and got my old truck back.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Ranger 22 posted the same thing I was thinking.The MAF could be malfunctioning because of oil from K-N filter or bad contacts in wire harness.This could affect line pressure in the Allison.I had a MAF problem on my 02 but it set a MIL.Had bad contacts in wire harness at MAF.Just something for you to check.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys alot for all the feedback. I will do the things mentioned above. I am not sure when my fuel filter was last changed. I will have to look it up. I will do some stuff and see what happens. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
When did you load the stage three program? sometimes if i switch my Van Aaken up a level and don;t let it relearn it will act funny at WOT because it isn't used to it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
mine did the same yesterday with predator on 85 it was 75degrees outside and I had been driving it for 60 miles, it hit 3k and would not accell untill I let off, truck is stock execpt the programer. trans filter changed 2k ago, fuel filter 8 k ago. been running the 85 for about 3 weeks, very little WOT's

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
jevanb;1652699; said:
mine did the same yesterday with predator on 85 it was 75degrees outside and I had been driving it for 60 miles, it hit 3k and would not accell untill I let off, truck is stock execpt the programer. trans filter changed 2k ago, fuel filter 8 k ago. been running the 85 for about 3 weeks, very little WOT's
With very few WOT runs it isn't used to it. It will get better as you do it more but take it easy or you might break something. But if you want to run it hard sooner or later you will break somehting. Be careful and try not to switch the tunes too much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts