Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

My 2001 duramax 4x4 crew cab and I just got back from the store. I went inside for a minute and went back outside to notice alot of transmission fluid under the truck on the ground. Look under the truck and it appears to be from the spin on filter area. I just changed it about 2500 miles ago and have not seen any leaks before.

Any ideas on this one? I do have an edge box 90hp on the truck right now.

Thanks, Neil

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sounds like the filter gasket got hosed. Make sure you don't tighten it any more than 1 full turn. Stick a new filter on it and mark a spot on the filter and trans when it contacts and only go 1 more turn. I'd bet that that fixes your leak.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I bet you are right and I over tightened it! I just went out to try and move it to level ground and trans fluid was straying out. Glad this happened at the house. I will get a new filter and get it changed (one full turn) and add fluid.

Thanks for your help! I also need to make sure it has the magnet on the threads this time because it was not on the filter last change. So, either it is there or the previous owner did not replace it.

Neil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts