Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the truck has 5100 miles. I have never checked the transmission fluid until last night (yes, I know I have been a bad boy). Anyway, I was changing the oil last night and noticed that the bell housing near the engine had three drops of red fluid plus a faint trail of red fluid 4" long going accross the bell housing. I checked the fluid level and it took 3/4 of a quart of fluid. Drove it around the neighborhood afterward and did not find any more fluid leaking.

Needless say, I am going to be very apprehensive during our whole vacation which starts at noon today.

What do you guys think? If I can make whole vacation without any problems I will take the truck to the dealer as soon as I get back.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Check where it's coming from. The lines that go into the side of the trans sometimes seep a little.

Either way I would get it documented at a dealership.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2003 at 900 miles. It was a fairly small leak. It turned out to be a torn gasket surface, but it nearly 2 weeks at the dealership to fix it(all allison parts were back-ordered in June/July apparently). They couldn't get the pump housing and gasket set that they needed so I ended up with a new transmission.

If I were you, I'd just keep an eye on the fluid level while you are on vacation and take it in to the dealership when you get back. I wish I would have waited instead of leaving it at the dealership for 2 of the first 3 weeks I owned it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had the very same issue with my 03 at 500 miles.. Went to the dealer who had it for three days.. - they said a bolt in the pump housing was incorrectly torqued.. - They got what was called a "Drain back kit" (I think) and installed new pump/housing/bolts etc.. - 1500 miles since the install and no leaks. - I dipped the level on mine regular to make sure it was ok when it was leaking and the level never moved. It wasn't leaking enough to worry about.

I don't know where you are in Texas but I took mine to Eldorado motors in Mckinney.. Spoke to Gary Werner (972-569-0149) - he seems like he knows his shizz..

Hope this helps

Pete

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Wish me luck over the vacation!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, back from vacation (damn! Over too soon!). The allison worked flawlessly in the mountains. Some of the downshifts are a little quirky, but still good. It has used 3/4 of a quart in 3,700 miles. I will try to get it to the dealer by next week.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
cdhd2001 said:
Well, back from vacation (damn! Over too soon!). The allison worked flawlessly in the mountains. Some of the downshifts are a little quirky, but still good. It has used 3/4 of a quart in 3,700 miles. I will try to get it to the dealer by next week.
Probably just a gasket or front seal or an o-ring on a pump housing bolt .... Easy fix but tranny will have to be removed to access ....

Good luck .... Need part numbers lemme know I have them some where ...Dealer should have it done in a day or less ...

Mac Edited by: Mackin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts