Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 2500HD LLY diesel Allison transmission is leaking trans fluid anyone else having this problem. Going to try to get into garage this week. Leaving for Florida Thursday worried about the leak. Hope problem is minor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi ekrott, You may want to determine where it is leaking from. This may help people identify if they had similar issues as your's does. Are you sure it's tranny fluid? Not trying to be smart. How much fluid have you lost? Does it do it while idiling? Hot or cold? An occasional drip, or a steady drip? Has it been covering the underside of your vehicle? I think you get my point, it will help people if they know more about your troubles. Not trying to be smart.

Just my .02 Fran

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only seems to leak after it has been driven then parked. Getting some fluid on under carriage. Hope to get it to dealer will let you know results. Cold temp check looks like it's down 1.5 quarts with 1300 miles on truck. Not sure I did cold check correctly manual says temp should be 160 - 200F but not sure it's talking trans or engine temp manual neglects to say which.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The Ally will vent fluid from the top of the transmission once it gets hot if they overfilled it from the factory. Based on your cold level check that does not sound like it is the case.

Mine had a bum vehicle speed sensor near the tailshaft that was leaking when it was new. I replaced it and the o-ring for it and the problem was solved.

Can you tell if the fluid is coming from the back or the front of the tranny?

Did you do a quick check on the pan bolts?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
might check to see if the spin on filter is tight too.. Get it in ASAP so they can get ya fixed up so your plans to FL dont get monkeyed up....hopefully

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well so much for the Allison realiability myth. New Allison with 1350 miles takes a crap. Service dept says looks like pump is leaking fluid lost 2 quarts in 1350 miles. Something about a new rubber seal that Allison is using. Also probably have to replace torque converter. Dealer service dept is going to fix it.

Sad day in Krottville

·
Registered
706 Posts
Really the only consistent issue with the ally has been the TC lugs breaking and leaking.

In all fairness this is not an Ally issue, it is an assembly problem. The lugs don't get torqued properly and the TC can flex and break lugs.

Really that is the only issue. With only 1400 miles on it I can't see replacing a $2200 TC if it isn't broken. I would say your dealer is throwing parts at the problem and hoping they guess right.

My TC lost a lug and that's when I broke down and did the Suncoast upgrade, a PRO-LOC TC from Suncoast was a lot cheaper than what the dealer was going to charge for the POS original equipment.

If I had to guess I would say that you lost your TC and the rest of the tranny is as good as new.

Your under warranty so let them rebuild it if they want to, I was out of warranty so for the same money and downtime I got a tranny that will hold a lot of power.

Don't worry its just a Dextron undercoat!

PS. Dextron will disolve the orginal undercoat, clean it gently.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem was the maching of the torque converter housing scratches on it so it didnt seal now waiting for parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts