Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of changing the internal Allison filter, but the local Allison dealership said there was shallow and deep filter, depending if the Allison tranny pan was bevelled or not (which would be the shallow pan).

The dealership said I would need to give him the assembly # of the tranny (located on the passenger side of the Allison) and he could confirm which internal filter I needed.

First time I've heard of this. Everything is stock...no deep aftermarket pan. Thought there'd only be one internal filter size if it's stock.

Anyone else been told this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
If you have a GMC or Chevy 2500 or 3500 series truck that is stock, you need shallow filter . That will be a black filter. Allison deep pan which is not available on models above take the deep filter which is white. Assuming your Allison pan is a factory pan, you need the black filter.
mike

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...saves me from crawling under the truck in the snow.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Uh, why exactly are you changing it? It is not a filter, it is a strainer. I does not need changing except at overhaul or if you have had a confirmed contamination/damage. It's not a necessary maintenance item.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Uh, why exactly are you changing it? It is not a filter, it is a strainer. I does not need changing except at overhaul or if you have had a confirmed contamination/damage. It's not a necessary maintenance item.
It is in fact a filter and not a strainer. No need to change unless you are like me.
mike

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Mental note: Wool clogs the internal Ally filter.....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought the '03 used with no maintenance records...figured I'd change the fluid to transyd and new spin on and internal filter just to be on the safe side...good insurance given the unknown past.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chino's weather is 52 degrees F. right now...that's summer up in Canada...I'd crawl under the DMax at that temp!:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Internal Filter On The Ally... Is There A Site On How To Change It And How Often Do U Need To Change It????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts