Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a salesmen from Johnson & Towers, Distributor for Allison, stop by at work today as we are one of his accounts. When he saw the Allison badge on my D/Max, he made it a point to come back and see me. He gave me information on the Trans-Synd thinking I would want to use it on the 25,000 fluid change. When I told him that some of the guys here had even drained out the torque convertor fluid, he was very suprised. His view was to add the Trans-Synd now, and by next fluid change it would be 97% synth. I would rather do the complete fluid change now than to wait and have to replace it in another 25,000 miles.

On the good side, I ordered the 5 gallon pail from him and he will drop it off at work with no shipping charge. $132.00

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank,

Good site, I visit it every so often before I take off with the fifth wheel.

The Allison salesman gave me a 9 page "Service Information Letter" with a Allison and GM letterhead. Seems like they would like to see everyone switch over to the TransSynd. Depending on the severity on your driving, you can get 50,000 to 100,000 miles on a change. If you have a mixture of TransSynd and the Dexron, they want you to change it every 25,000 miles. He also claims it will reduce operating temps 20 degrees cooler. Sounds worth the effort to change all the fluids out at one time.

Rich

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O SERVICE INFORMATION LETTER .. ~ AllIson ~

10-TR-99, Rev. B January,2002 Page 1 of 9
SUBJECT: A TD Factory Fill of TranSyndTM
Revised Transmission Fluid/Filter Change Recommendations Release of MD and BD Product Line Gold Series Filters
EQUIPMENT AFFECTED: AT 500 Series MD 3000 Series 1000 SeriesTM 2000MB MT 600 Series BD 4000 Series 2000 SeriesTM T Series BT 700 Series B 3/4/500 Series 2400 SeriesTM
BEGINNING SERIAL NUMBERS: MD/B 300/B 400 SIN 6510350645 BD/B 500/T 425/T 450/T 525 SIN 6610092269 AT SIN 3211122650 MT SIN 2430633113 BT SIN 2510235088 MD/B 300/B 400/T 200/T 300 Series SIN 6520007534
Introduction:
Optimum performance and reliability of heavy-duty automatic transmissions can be noticeably influenced by the type of "-" fluid used and the frequency with which that fluid is changed. Allison Transmission Division and General Motors have
designed extensive programs including specifications and tests to verify the quality of fluids and consequently have specific fluid and filter change recommendations. Due to field studies, changes in emission requirements, vehicle design, and operating environments, Allison Transmission has realigned recommended fluid and filter change intervals to more closely match the operating environment heavy-duty automatic transmissions are found in today. Allison Transmission began 1/1/02 final testing MD/HD Product Line, AT, MT, and BT transmissions with TranSyndTM fluid. Customers may continue to choose from a wide variety of [email protected] or Allison qualified C4 fluids. Customers may elect to use TranSyndTM or TES 295 equivalent and extend drain intervals. Equivalent TranSyndTM fluid must meet or exceed T

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Many of us have done this change.

Check out my signature for pictures and more info. You may also want to switch to the deep pan from Allison. It adds extra fluid fluid capacity and only costs like $47.

I think we need to do an article on this.

rtquig, I use Johnson and Towers on Briggs Rd. in Mt Laurel.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will be using Mercon V in my Allison trans when it needs servicing. What is everyones thought on this fluid, thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoot, I got the idea of changing out all the fluid after reading "how to" from your signature.

That's the same Johnson & Towers I'm dealing with, from Mt. Laurel. Knowing the fluid change out was coming up, and deciding which fluid to use, it was pretty good luck that the sales rep stopped by and offered to drop off the TransSend the next time he is in the area.

The deep pan is something to think about.

RichEdited by: rtquig

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought I saw a Baldwin filter that fits the Allison on the Baldwin web site has anybody used it or what are anyones thoughts on using it instead of the oem filter.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you buy the Allison filter from the dealer, it cost only about $8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts