Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for my first spin-on filter change on the Allison. I'm not doing the switch to Transynd just yet, that'll probably come in the spring. My question is how much fluid will I lose when I pull the external filter? Does much drain out - any particular procedure or tips on this (beyond cleaning off and reusing the magnet)?

Thanx.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did mine about 2 weeks ago. Very easy to do. Just fill up the new filter with transmission fluid (you'll have to do it 2 or 3 times in about 5 minutes because it will soak up the fluid). Then spin off the old filter. There's a huge magnet on the top of the filter. Wipe it off and put it on the new filter. Mine had a lot of crud on it, so I know it's doing a good job. Then spin the new filter on and tighten it down per specs, which as I remember was 1 turn after the gasket touches the base.

Besides the fluid in the filter, I'll bet there was probably only about 2 ounces at most of fluid in my drain pan. Basically no fluid loss at all.

Eric

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can tell you exactly...here is my post from an earlier thread...

Just finished changing my filter for the first time (3500 miles). Its a pretty slick way to change transmission filters!

For those who may be a little too detailed (as I tend to be), I measured the fluid that came out during the change. After filling the new filter (to just below the magnet) with new ATF, I needed to add an additional 4 oz of ATF to the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I changed mine last night and a bunch of fluid came out of the nipple that the filter spins on to. Made a big mess in my garage.

Maybe the factory put too much fluid in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys!

I'll just hope my situation is more like Larsonem's and Roegs' than FourBeer's!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My owners manual says Dextron III What brand of trans fluid did you all use? The fluid that came from the factory is regular oil and not synthetic correct?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Correct. Lots of folks opt to change to the Allison recommended synthetic, called Transynd. Also, lots go with the "regular" pan that Allison designed for this tranny, but it is deeper than the stock GM pan. If you go that route, there is also a different pickup and filter assembly that you will need. I think the part numbers are in other posts here...do a search on deep pan or Transynd and you will find more info.

John

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used the Dexron III stuff. Just picked up a quart from the dealer along with the transmission filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts