Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to change the external filter on my 03 allison/dmax, will i have to drain the pan to do so and if i don't is fluid gonna run out like crazy whaen i take it off and how hard is it to do really?

thanks guys i really like this site lots of helpfull info!

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Don't forget the magnet on the top of the filter,

You wil lose a little fluid, maybe a pint or two.

No need to drain the pan for a simple filter change.

T
NY

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's real easy.

Climb under the truck and twist it off. You may loose an a drop or two, but that is it. The Filter will be full, so don't tip it over. On the top of the old filter will be a magnetic washer. Clean it up and re use that on the new filter. What I did was fill the new filter up with fluid before re-installing it. Then just double check the fluid with the dipstick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet thanks guys sounds real easy now where the heck to i get one of these filters huh? GM i guess damn bastards they mark everything up soooo much!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Matt,

Go to www.wix.com and follow the lookup prompts. It will list all the filter numbers you need and then find a dealer near you . The dealer information is on the website also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry about that Matt, I was too hasty when I typed that in. I checked with my local vendor wheret I get excellent pricing on Wix filters and to my surprise the Fuel filter was $10.57, Air $8.56, Oil $3.41 but no transmission filter available. I may have to go to an Allison dealer for that one. I am sure I will get bent over for that one.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
duramax dan said:
I may have to go to an Allison dealer for that one. I am sure I will get bent over for that one.

Quite the opposite, Dan - I don't recall anybody getting "bent over" by an Allison dealer. All the bending is done by the GM dealers when they resell you the Allison parts like the filter, which I bought from an Allison dealer for $8 that the dealer wanted $39 for and the magnet I bought from an Allison dealer for $1.86 that the dealer wanted $29.99 for!!!

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Filling the external filter is not necessary, nothing to run dry. External filter fills out of the cooler return. Sump filter is the main pickup, external filter is the main filter in the Ally.

mike

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've found it's a lot easier to fill the filter before installing it, rather than trying to fill trans to full mark through the dip stick tube.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use Baldwin filters for all locations on my vehicle. They have a very informative site and they have a link setup to connect you to the nearest dealers in your area.I belive from all the testing of filters I have read about the Baldwin has been the Top Performer, very good Beta numbers it's listed on their site too. I just picked up a complete set of oil,fuel and transmssion filters this week and will give my truck it's first oil change at about 700 miles by then.http://baldwinfilters.com

Best of luck in your choice, Fran

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a thought on the WIX filters guys.I had been using the dealers spin on filters but got a WIX to save a little money this time. when I swapped the magnet onto the WIX I noticed that the holes were very close to the threads where the filter screws on. When I put the magnet in it covered the holes for the fluid to flow thru. It might not have restricted flow completely but it didn't look like it would have flowed freely. I went back and paid the extra for the dealer item. The WIX didn't look like it was designed for use with the magnet. Anyone else noticed this or have you guys have got me paranoid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts