Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Allison at545 transmission and it's on an international 4700 DT466 truck everything was going fine with the transmission until all the sudden it started leaking from the bottom of the torque converter apparently there's an access plate with two screws 1 on each side of this plate. The plate is approximately 5 in long and two and a half inches wide and that's where the transmission fluid is leaking so as soon as it goes into the torque converter it starts leaking out of that plate area. So I haven't driven it since it started leaking but I did take the screws out and remove the plate and I was surprised to find there's no gasket on the plate so it's just two screws holding that plate in place and that's a big hole it goes right up into the torque converter. I'm not sure what could have possibly happened to cause it to start leaking but is there anyone that knows the best way to stop it from leaking before I start the engine again I was thinking of putting one of those cut out gaskets in place because it seems pretty strange that there would be no gasket on a whole that big that goes into the torque converter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance Tony

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

That is an inspection plate. There should be no gasket there.
The hole allows any fluid leaks to escape and give you a tell-tale sign of something wrong.

Sounds like you have a front seal leak or possible torque converter issues

Reactions: roswell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an Allison at545 transmission and it's on an international 4700 DT466 truck everything was going fine with the transmission until all the sudden it started leaking from the bottom of the torque converter apparently there's an access plate with two screws 1 on each side of this plate. The plate is approximately 5 in long and two and a half inches wide and that's where the transmission fluid is leaking so as soon as it goes into the torque converter it starts leaking out of that plate area. So I haven't driven it since it started leaking but I did take the screws out and remove the plate and I was surprised to find there's no gasket on the plate so it's just two screws holding that plate in place and that's a big hole it goes right up into the torque converter. I'm not sure what could have p
Thanks u rock bud. That makes a lot of sense. So in conclusion, before i checked for messages, the plate didnt appear to seat perfectly at its position on bottom of torque converter curve, in other words, before i took plate off, it appeared to be slightly bent. So, i formed it back to its original curve as best i could, then ran thin bead of permatex transmission gasket maker along the outside edge of the plate, let it dry, and took her for a brief test drive. Now, it drives in neutral, moves forward slowly at idle, wont shift past third and wont go in reverse. But it doesnt leak anymore!... Lol, Ok last 2 questions for the obvious expert: a) are there any other places on tranny that serve to vent it or allow it to breathe for lack of a better word? I notice signs of fluid high velocity splatter on the mid-left side of the transmission if looking at it from the back of the truck, near what appeared to be just an open port. Im thinking you need some pressure build up for the converter to function. I just bought a service manual for the thing, but im no expert, thats for sure
b) assuming there is a seal leak, my first lazy/cheapskate guy question before changing out the converter would be: is there any chance, you think, that a blue devil or similar would shore up that leak? Im thinking that, considering the fluid level loss at first look, probly not lol. But would it hurt anything up there to give it ole college try do you suppose? In other words knowing what you know, if you had a free bottle of blue devil transmission sealer, would you throw it in and see what happens or is it a bad idea to do any driving at all. Let me point out that I'm not holding anyone to their answer while trying to explain a situation when you're not here looking at it. Thatd be silly and I get that. Just like to get a general opinion from one who knows more than I before moving forward on a decision
Also, given the above described current state of the gears, is there any outside chance that a torque swap would address those above issues i noticed when idling /driving? Thanks in advance, i had no idea that forums were so responsive and helpful- any feedback is greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Thanks u rock bud. That makes a lot of sense. So in conclusion, before i checked for messages, the plate didnt appear to seat perfectly at its position on bottom of torque converter curve, in other words, before i took plate off, it appeared to be slightly bent. So, i formed it back to its original curve as best i could, then ran thin bead of permatex transmission gasket maker along the outside edge of the plate, let it dry, and took her for a brief test drive. Now, it drives in neutral, moves forward slowly at idle, wont shift past third and wont go in reverse. But it doesnt leak anymore!... Lol, Ok last 2 questions for the obvious expert: a) are there any other places on tranny that serve to vent it or allow it to breathe for lack of a better word? I notice signs of fluid high velocity splatter on the mid-left side of the transmission if looking at it from the back of the truck, near what appeared to be just an open port. Im thinking you need some pressure build up for the converter to function. I just bought a service manual for the thing, but im no expert, thats for sure
b) assuming there is a seal leak, my first lazy/cheapskate guy question before changing out the converter would be: is there any chance, you think, that a blue devil or similar would shore up that leak? Im thinking that, considering the fluid level loss at first look, probly not lol. But would it hurt anything up there to give it ole college try do you suppose? In other words knowing what you know, if you had a free bottle of blue devil transmission sealer, would you throw it in and see what happens or is it a bad idea to do any driving at all. Let me point out that I'm not holding anyone to their answer while trying to explain a situation when you're not here looking at it. Thatd be silly and I get that. Just like to get a general opinion from one who knows more than I before moving forward on a decision
Also, given the above described current state of the gears, is there any outside chance that a torque swap would address those above issues i noticed when idling /driving? Thanks in advance, i had no idea that forums were so responsive and helpful- any feedback is greatly appreciated
I would not rely on a magic cure in a bottle. The Allison is particular on its fluid and you may cause more harm than good.
Do the repairs the right way, the first time, and do not cut corners or you'll find you're spending more money on the repair than you should have

1 - 4 of 4 Posts