Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new 05 C5500 and would like to put a trans temp gauge in it, where do I hook the sending unit on the allison trans?

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
You can put it in the pan. There is a temp sensor in it already. I was unaware that the C5500 did not already have a trans temp gauge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was kinda suprised that it doesn't come with one. I really dont want to deal with dropping the pan and putting in a fitting. Is there an empty port where i could thread a new unit in? I dont want to remove the stock sending unit becuase I dont want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I wonder if the wire provisions are there but only because of the cluster used there is no gauge. Someone with a wire schematic on the Allison should be able to point you in the right direction.Then to find a electronic gauge

You would have to drill and bung the steel pan.I had mine done and sold it.You could look at a Mag hytec,they are predrilled.PML pans are not.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just picked up a Jayco Seneca HD on the 5500 chasis with the Dmax and it came with a tranny temp guage off to the side of the dash near the exhaust brake switch. I would think they would be pre-wired as said above.

Anybody know of anybody making a Programmer for this motor. It's only rated at 300hp and 520 ft-lbs. Seems odd that my 2500HD pick-up is rated at more than my motorhome with a 26,000lbs GVWR.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
892 Posts
The wiring is there from the trans to the trans module (it needs the signal for shifting purposes). But I think with those trucks that have the trans temp gauge that the signal is broadcasted to the engine module, which then sends it to the IP cluster. I believe the C5500 has the trans temp gauge as an option, you should be able to just plug it in and go. There are knock-outs in the cernter console to mount it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts