Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW what a tranny! I have a completely stock 6 spd alli my truck is in my sig. I have been tying to find the limits of the stock 6spd alli for a few months now and havent been able to even with laying down 525hp on the dyno and driving around with McRats 500 hp tune for a while. I have heard all over the DP that the stock limit is around 450hp but I have surpassed 450hp long ago,well today I found the limit. Yesterday I installed a new Nitrou Express dual stage diesel nitrous kit with the eletronic control module I played with the smallest jets for 2 runs but didnt notce much difference I had the controler set to activate at 2,000RPM/ 18psi of boost on stage 1 and 2,500RPM/ 3 seconds after stag 1 for stage2 and had .088jet for stage 1 and .110 stage 2 with the McRat 500 tune in the ECM. I reved the motor o 1000RPM with the nitous activated then launched the truck launched and laid about a 80ft black strip of rubber then stage 2 came on about 3 seconds after stage1 and the truck bucked and limped. I know this is wierd but I am happy I finally found the limit of the stock alli in my truck I dont know exactly how much power the truck was putting out when it limped but I did try running it like that for 3 more runs and each time it ran fine until stage 2 came on then bucked and limped. I now know that the tranny would handle over 500hp at the wheels for sure. I will be dropping the truck off in the morning for my new ATS Extreme tranny then will be getting the truck redynoed with the nitrous hooked up to see what both stages are worth and where the tranny limped then next weekend hopefully some track times. The moral of the story is these truck are awsome everyone says 450 is the limit but some of them will last beyond that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Man that truck came with a freak of nature LOL, mine would limp with less than 400RWHP but not for long:D Is that two stage a universal one or a dmax specific kit?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i found the limit on the stock 5sp alli
though i had been running the tune on the street for 10 days or so and plenty of races i go to the track and it limps the second run of the day

go figure....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yea who makes that dual stage Nitrous kit. I want one.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kit is universal. I really like it due to the pragramability of it all you have to do is hook a laptop up to it and set whatever you want ,many features. you can go to http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/downloads.ht and download the software to see what it does I like it and NX says it shoud be able to make an estimated 500-600hp max

·
Registered
692 Posts
Good to hear, I'm about to do my tranny, and was thinking of going to EFI Live this summer. Just need gauges and sell both edge w/ att's (1 lbz, 1lly)

·
Registered
261 Posts
malibu795;1586988; said:
i found the limit on the stock 5sp alli
though i had been running the tune on the street for 10 days or so and plenty of races i go to the track and it limps the second run of the day

go figure....

so what is the limit on the 5 sp allison?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey any track times yet?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
carcrafter22;1586939; said:
WOW what a tranny! I have a completely stock 6 spd alli my truck is in my sig. I have been tying to find the limits of the stock 6spd alli for a few months now and havent been able to even with laying down 525hp on the dyno and driving around with McRats 500 hp tune for a while. I have heard all over the DP that the stock limit is around 450hp but I have surpassed 450hp long ago,well today I found the limit. Yesterday I installed a new Nitrou Express dual stage diesel nitrous kit with the eletronic control module I played with the smallest jets for 2 runs but didnt notce much difference I had the controler set to activate at 2,000RPM/ 18psi of boost on stage 1 and 2,500RPM/ 3 seconds after stag 1 for stage2 and had .088jet for stage 1 and .110 stage 2 with the McRat 500 tune in the ECM. I reved the motor o 1000RPM with the nitous activated then launched the truck launched and laid about a 80ft black strip of rubber then stage 2 came on about 3 seconds after stage1 and the truck bucked and limped. I know this is wierd but I am happy I finally found the limit of the stock alli in my truck I dont know exactly how much power the truck was putting out when it limped but I did try running it like that for 3 more runs and each time it ran fine until stage 2 came on then bucked and limped. I now know that the tranny would handle over 500hp at the wheels for sure. I will be dropping the truck off in the morning for my new ATS Extreme tranny then will be getting the truck redynoed with the nitrous hooked up to see what both stages are worth and where the tranny limped then next weekend hopefully some track times. The moral of the story is these truck are awsome everyone says 450 is the limit but some of them will last beyond that.
I'd hate to be your clutches):h

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Anyone that thinks any stock tranny will hold 400 RWHP is in denial. Several member have tried it and it always catches up with them, some might take longer then others.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
My stock 5 speed ally when I first bought my truck would hold my diliblo turn on 4 and my edge on 5. Never slipped or limped but after a couple years that big horsepower took a toll on it

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
other than over powering the torque converter, I have yet to limp mine. Cant count the full throttle runs from 4th into 6th. I am waiting though, more of a challenge at this point.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you know the funy thing is when I tore the tranny down to look at the clutches they all looked brand new except the c-1's I guess it was those boosted nitrous launches oops. I really think some allisons are just stronger than others but thats only my opinion. going by all the people that have limped their allisons on here I should have limped mine months ago with all the power I put through the stocker but I never did til I tried the nitrous and it took a very very big hit on top of a 500rwhp tune to do it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
were you running the stock mercon 6 fluid???

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've been running the Hot-2 on the 300hp setting for two weeks now. The truck has seen more then 20 Boosted 4x4 launches. The only thing I notice is a small vibration above 70mph. It Could be the trans, or being in 4x4 at that speed. Still cant get her to lay down a nice black smoke screen though!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes I was runnig stock fluid. I now run Amsoil fluid in my extreme. it sure is nice to punch it a 60mph and not have the converter chater like its about to explode.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
carcrafter22;1649522; said:
yes I was runnig stock fluid. I now run Amsoil fluid in my extreme. it sure is nice to punch it a 60mph and not have the converter chater like its about to explode.

Sissy :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Is converter chatter anything to worry about? I run my Triple dog on extreme, but have never went WOT with it in 5th or 6th due to feeling that.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Its the friction in the torque converter slipping when its not supposed to be causing the chatter, so yes its a bad thing. I usually just let off of it when I start to feel it. I find it easier to do when in Tow/haul mode also when just rolling into it and the rpms stay low and the engine builds alot of torque.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That is what I had figured but wasn't too sure. I've only done it a couple of times and when it has happened I have let off of it immediately. I stay away from tow/haul mode, i prefer to m-shift.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts