Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Had to tow my baby to the dealer at 95,000 miles. The engine's crankcase vent was blowing white smoke and leaking diesel fuel, all signs of bad injectors. Thanks to reading many of the stories of bad injectors here, I was neither shocked nor surprised. I was sorta just waiting for my turn.
The dealer called me today and confirmed that in fact all the injectors would have to be replaced and that they were covered under warranty :).
However, they want to charge me $300.00 for "...oil change and fuids" :eek:
I asked them what fluids they were putting in that was worth $300.00 and the Service Advisor could not tell me. She said she would have to find out and she would call me back.
For those of you that have gone through the injector replacement nightmare, what type of extra charges is the dealer entitled to when replacing injectors?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I got charged for new oil just after having a change done about 700 KMs before.

If they use their "house oil" it would be a cheap customer service thing to not charge for an oil change.........

At least, you would think.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would want an oil change and coolant change after major engine work. If left in over 2 or 3 years the dexcool (deathcool) turns to acid and the oil would be contaminated by the bad injectors. If it wasn't paid for on warranty I would gladly pay for the fluids after getting a free injector job.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Coolant and related "fliuds" will and should be covered by the warranty.
I know mine were.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just had all 8 replaced, oil changed, new fuel filter and paid nothing. I was expecting to pay a deductable at least but when I picked it up they handed me the keys and said have a nice day.

·
Registered
482 Posts
When I got my injectors replaced I didnt have to pay for anything. I brought my own synthetic oil because that is what I wanted. They would have put the regular stuff in for free. I think that dealership is trying to make a quick couple of bucks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
curlytom;1634272; said:
Hello,
Had to tow my baby to the dealer at 95,000 miles. The engine's crankcase vent was blowing white smoke and leaking diesel fuel, all signs of bad injectors. Thanks to reading many of the stories of bad injectors here, I was neither shocked nor surprised. I was sorta just waiting for my turn.
The dealer called me today and confirmed that in fact all the injectors would have to be replaced and that they were covered under warranty :).
However, they want to charge me $300.00 for "...oil change and fuids" :eek:
I asked them what fluids they were putting in that was worth $300.00 and the Service Advisor could not tell me. She said she would have to find out and she would call me back.
For those of you that have gone through the injector replacement nightmare, what type of extra charges is the dealer entitled to when replacing injectors?
have your dealer read the speacial policy regarding the injectors,it states to change the oil and the fuel filter.and not at your exspense.we did one where the cust ran royal purple synthetic,and thats what he got for replacement oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses! I guess if they were charging me a deductible or if the cost of the fluids was truly $300.00 I wouldn't mind paying it. But from what I gather from your responses, you guys didn't have to pay anything. I think you are right Rudy, they are just trying to make a few quick bucks!
pasquale, where can I find this special policy on the injectors? I'd like to read it and prepare myself before I have the dealer read it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep...just got a call from the dealer and they confirm that the $300.00 charge is for the oil and the coolant. They are very adamant about this charge.
Where can I find the service bulletin for the injectors? I need to find some ammo to refute this charge...

·
Registered
264 Posts
curlytom;1636656; said:
Thanks for the responses! I guess if they were charging me a deductible or if the cost of the fluids was truly $300.00 I wouldn't mind paying it. But from what I gather from your responses, you guys didn't have to pay anything. I think you are right Rudy, they are just trying to make a few quick bucks!
pasquale, where can I find this special policy on the injectors? I'd like to read it and prepare myself before I have the dealer read it.
the policy # is 04039a.im still looking for a copy.ill keep you posted

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I would contact somone from GM that is higher on the food chain than your dealer. I doubt GM wants that kind of crap going on in their name.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My 03 just went in for injectors again, and I asked my dealer about it...

He said that fluid changes and filters are covered under the campaign. The only case that fluids are customer responsibility as per GM is if they are "uncommon" specialty oils (like full synthetics) and even then labor is covered if you supply fluids. They will even put Delo400 15-40 back in my truck at no additional cost even though the service department does not stock it. (last time the emptys were in the bed for proof)

GM and the dealer has treated me excellent, so get in touch with the regional service rep or someone higher up.

I think the TSB for injectors is 04-06-04-007 and the campaign for injector warranty coverage extension is: Special Policy Adjustment - Injectors - Replace # 04039

I think you can still see all TSB and service campaigns related to your truck at www.mygmlink.com

Good luck

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check the feed in announcements on dealer ratings to see if there's a better dealer in your area. I took mine to one dealer and was told that the problem wasn't injectors and the second dealer said to bring it in when I could be without it for a couple of days. It was bad return rates on mine so didn't have to have fuilds changed, but didn't cost me a dime, even got a rental truck at no charge.

·
Registered
506 Posts
2001-2003 injectors Special Policy Injectors 04039A

This might be what your looking for, it mentions shop supplies.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Been everywhere;1641060; said:
Check the feed in announcements on dealer ratings to see if there's a better dealer in your area. I took mine to one dealer and was told that the problem wasn't injectors and the second dealer said to bring it in when I could be without it for a couple of days. It was bad return rates on mine so didn't have to have fuilds changed, but didn't cost me a dime, even got a rental truck at no charge.
why woudnt you change the oil and coolant? the coolant is drained during the repair and there going into the engine,reguardless if there is fuel in the oil or not i would change it,who knows what could get knocked in when apart,sand,leaves,etc.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello all,

Here's the skinny...I went to pick up my truck and of course, I argued about the $300.00 charge. Almost immediately, they dropped the amount to $120.00. The Service Manager's argument was that nowhere in the Special Policy stated that the oil and coolant were included, he was very unyielding on this. I figure since I was not getting anywhere with this guy, I went ahead and payed the $120.00 just so I could get out of there. I figured I would call a Regional Service Rep the next day.
The next day, when I got off from work, I noticed several puddles of oil under the truck. I checked under the truck to see where the oil was coming from, and the entire underside, from the engine to the transmission oil-cover was dripping with oil. I figured that maybe they spilled some oil when they were putting it in. On my way home, I stopped by the car wash and cleaned the underside pretty good. The next day, same thing! Puddles of oil under the truck, now I knew I had a leak somewhere.
Today, my sick baby's back at the dealer, but at least I got a rental from them this time. I'll let you guys know what hapenned.
Thanks for all your help!:(

·
Registered
556 Posts
curlytom;1644149; said:
Hello all,

Here's the skinny...I went to pick up my truck and of course, I argued about the $300.00 charge. Almost immediately, they dropped the amount to $120.00. The Service Manager's argument was that nowhere in the Special Policy stated that the oil and coolant were included, he was very unyielding on this. I figure since I was not getting anywhere with this guy, I went ahead and payed the $120.00 just so I could get out of there. I figured I would call a Regional Service Rep the next day.
The next day, when I got off from work, I noticed several puddles of oil under the truck. I checked under the truck to see where the oil was coming from, and the entire underside, from the engine to the transmission oil-cover was dripping with oil. I figured that maybe they spilled some oil when they were putting it in. On my way home, I stopped by the car wash and cleaned the underside pretty good. The next day, same thing! Puddles of oil under the truck, now I knew I had a leak somewhere.
Today, my sick baby's back at the dealer, but at least I got a rental from them this time. I'll let you guys know what hapenned.
Thanks for all your help!:(
They should have given you a rental the first time, but DEFINITELY find yourself another dealer, one that knows how to work on trucks would help.

·
Registered
556 Posts
pasquale;1641654; said:
why woudnt you change the oil and coolant? the coolant is drained during the repair and there going into the engine,reguardless if there is fuel in the oil or not i would change it,who knows what could get knocked in when apart,sand,leaves,etc.........
A good mech wipes that kind of stuff off before opening up the valve covers. And before you say it, I watched the mech start the work. Oil was due for a change anyway and got change the next week. Actually the coolant is not completely drained and they did top it off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got all 8 of my injectors replaced about 2 months ago, I did not pay a dime. It is all coverd in the warrenty! So they are just pulling your leg for some reason.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts