Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the OEMs with Bilstein. Immediate improvement.

The instructions suggest that the camber should be reset. Is that really necessary on this heavy beast?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have asked this question elsewhere, and was told that it was not necessary. I have the bilsteins too, and love them!

·
Registered
987 Posts
What kind of driveability changes did you guys notice with the Blitseins ?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
gwmayes said:
The instructions suggest

There is your first mistake... you read the instructions!
Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
772 Posts
Instructions???

TC

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is not as harsh, and I notice a lot less rear end hopping and skipping with bumps. When towing, it is much smoother, with rear end undulations greatly minimized. My wife wanted new shocks, but now that I have them I would not give them up!

·
Registered
122 Posts
At 15K, after a 5K trip to the Yucatan pulling a sunnybrook 24CKFS FW, my stock shocks were shot. I noticed a lot less wheel hop(I live in dirt roads) and much improver cornering with the Bilsteins. The trailer rides smoother too. 20K on the Bilsteins now.

Steve

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you guys like that, then try a rear anti sway bar. Just put on a Hellwig and the improvment in setting in corners and reduced body roll is unbelieveable.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How much does the Hellwig set you back?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I read on another board that the Hellwig swaybar doesn't fit if you've got airbags, just FYI..

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've been waiting for Bilsteins from JK for about 5-6 weeks now, where suppose to arrive at Kennedy's shop yesterday. Looking forward to a better ride if they ever get here.

Jgriffin: I've found that simple air tools make the install a lot eaiser, espically the front ones that bolt on from the top. Either way it is a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I did the install with hand tools only...a metric socket set, couple of metric wrenches, and a crescent wrench. It's pretty easy!

·
Registered
204 Posts
CS-Dmax said:
I did the install with hand tools only...a metric socket set, couple of metric wrenches, and a crescent wrench. It's pretty easy!

I did the job with the same tools, but I did also use a jack.

CS-Dmax must be a brute if he got the fronts on without one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hahahahaah!

OK, so I am 6'5", 240lbs....but not that much of a brute!

But, you are of course correct, you will need a jack and for safety a jack stand...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, no realignment.
Yeh, same stupid instructions tell you to torque the nut on the top of the fronts to 20 N-M. Just how in h*** can you do that.

jgriffin, if an overweight, out-of-shape old man (59) like me can do it. You can, too. Cs-Dmax listed the tools.

I'm gonna take Hoot's suggestion to put those vacuum hose ends over the threads to keep 'em from rusting. Good tip if you're gonna keep 'er for awhile.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I didn't, those stock fire pops lasted another 25,000 before I changed them.

15,000 on the new michelins with no alignment work, no problems.....

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sure don't know why an alignment would be called for with a shock change. Can anyone furnish the part numbers for those shocks ?

Thanks, Terry

Northeast Diesel gettogether - Sept 27

www.dieselgettogether.com

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put 30,000 miles on my Bilsteins and didn't adjust anything. The tires wore well and I noticed only improved perfomance. I have heard that the Helwig bar is also a problem if you have the MagHytec diff. cover. Can anyone verify that?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the Helwig sway bar on my '03 CC with Riderite airbags. I have 8K on the truck and carry a Lance 845 and have not had any handling problems. I also have Rancho 9000X shocks on the rear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts