Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticing the afe type systems being so open, I presume that's why you get more turbo whine.

I'm thinking... do I need the bottom half of my stock airbox at all except to hold in the filter and support the top portion?

I'm considering butchering it by removing almost all of the sides.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
just be sure it has enought rigidity to make a good seal. if you take too much it might flex and bow open in the middle. not a good thing. if you destroy it i might know where you can find another stock airbox....... or maybe once its toast you just go afe?

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure I can totally cut out all four walls, leave the corners standing on the base.

Home grown afe/amsoil

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The bottom of the bottom of the air box holds it soild to the plate below ... Without it the entire balence of the air cleaner assembly would wiggle around and eventually screw up thw mas air banging around ... By a AFE you cheap **** ...

Mac

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I intend on keeping the bottom intact along with the four corners. I might start selling them.. hootane.com

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
It is not a good idea too cut the two sides that are facing into the engine compartmant. You want cold air, and the engine will defeat that. When I was running the stock box, I drilled about a dozen 1" holes in the bottom, and cut 60% or more of the two sides away from the engine, along with removing the foil from the holes on the passenger side fender. (and I have never had any water problems)

There was very little if any turbo noise running that setup. I think most of the turbo noise comes from removing the resinator, increasing the inlet hose, running a sraight hose, and opening up the air flow. (in that order)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I blocked off the resonator inlet and it did little to affect the sound of the turbo. Slight if any.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hoot!!!! What Mac said!!

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chevmeister said:
Hoot!!!! What Mac said!!
MAC don't know what he's talking about
. The MAF sensor is in the tube. I'm not going anywhere near it.

I'll leave the bottom intact and cut out the walls as much as I can without making it too weak. So it'll still be held in by the base but the walls will be majorly hacked open.

Same idea as a straight pipe.... low budget, high performance Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
448 Posts
It'll work Hoot, did the same thing on my 93 Z28. On the Z28 it picked up a vacuum cleaner noise at partial throttle, like a vacuum leak. sounds real good at full throttle though.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That's basically what I did. Swiss cheesed the bottom and cut two large openings on the sides. Probably room for more trimming yet. A Dremel tool is a man's best friend!

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The MAF is installed with two screws. You just transfer it to the new tube.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts